Smoke Hollow - VS - GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

payson

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Columbia SC
Hello,
I've got a birthday coming up and have decided that a new smoker is in order. I want propane instead of my current electric ECB. (I know the purists are cringeing but I like convenience.) I rarely cook for more than 6 at a time so size isn't a huge concern. I'd like the temps to be adjustable enough for jerky or crisping chicken skin on the high end of the temp spectrum. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! By the way, I still like the ECB electric, just want a little more flexibility when it comes to temps. Wife also says it's eating electricity like it's going out of style. I'd imagine propane would be more efficient in this regard?

I have the GOSM Big Block and would highly recommend it. You will have to pay more attention to the temps as it is not a walk away and forget about it unit, cooks great

I purchased a Smoke Hollow propane smoker at the beginning of the year. I couldn't get low temps & the right readings on thermometer. Door temp was 200 while internal temp was 260. Got in touch through their site www.olp-inc.com. Got nowhere on the phone with them. They said getting low temp was a ongoing problem. I was finally sent A new thermometer (with longer probe) new valve ( smaller size) & new burner (smaller size) Can get low temps now but it was with alot of grief. It was their biggest propane smoker . I think No. 7. I got the smoker for making bologna & sausage so I needed the low temps. Another thing is I haven't tried anything yet to see if I can get high enough temps to do big things like whole turkeys, roast & so on.
Hope this helps.

I wonder why these companies know about isues with their products but never seem to fix them?

Maybe we should send an email to all the smoker companies with a link to our forum. Maybe they don't know how to fix them - but we do!
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

Good idea Debi!...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Maybe if we all got 'Ruff 'n Tuff, and Hard to Bluff', these companies would get it right the 1st time!!!...
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

There was a major defect with Panasonic video cameras that we got resolved through a forum.

It ain't easy to get them to recognize you....but it can be done.

I have the GOSM also and would highly reccommmend it. Once you use it a few times you will get the hang of controlling the temperature. I also have the electric ECB, and I love having the extra space for smoking that the big block provides.

I have a GOSM. The smaller one. Works great for the two of us, but if I was smokin for more folk I'd say go for the big block unit.

You might want to look at the Camp Chef Smoke Vault. It has a setting for warm. This might be just the ticket for jerkey. They also have an 18 inch and 24 inch version. If you are able, get the bigger one. It's always better to have more room than not enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky