- Joined Jun 5, 2016
I bought this smoker last year and in general am pretty happy with it. However, I live in Kansas and soon discovered that the varying wind ( especially in the cooler months) created unstable flame conditions. I decided to address the wind issue directly.. I added 4 skirts..16 gauge galvanized sheet metal....cut at my local furnace shop for $50. I located them with small c clamps and drilled pilot holes for self tapping sheet metal screw. I also painted with high temp paint to match the smoker. I set the whole thing up on a 4 x 4 base on top of 4 concrete blocks so there is plenty of air draw from underneath. I am smoking today with a pretty stiff wind on and off. The temperature is absolutely stable...I am able to adjust with 5 degree increments very easily. Very pleased so far.