Smoke hollow cold smoke mailbox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well smoked 7.5 lbs of assorted cheese with apple pellets. Had trouble keeping them lit again. This time I figured out the problem. I've been lighting the pellets with the gel sanitizer. After having the problem I noticed that there was a black spot where the gel burned but didn't light the pellets well enough. I think lighting pellets in this manner doesn't work very well. First off the gel gets them wet and when lit the alcohol burns off leaving the gel behind causing very few pellets to light properly. Just like the last time I relit with my propane torch let them get going well and the dark circle where the gel was wouldn't burn. Mixed them into the pellets on the end and stayed burning after that. Next time will do the propane from the start and should be good to go.

Well it's been a while since I have replied to this thread. The cheese turned out awesome gave most of it away as my weirdo wife doesn't like it? Took some to my butcher along with the Canadian bacon i made he keeps bugging me if I have any left. He says it's the best smoked cheese he's ever had (he sells some smoked cheese). He absolutely loves the Canadian bacon he just kept saying man I should sell this retail. I said too much liability for that wasn't an option for me to pursue. Everything I've made has turned out exceptional and I want to reiterate that I couldn't have done it without your forum and some other resources on line. Thanks again for the great site.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky