smoke generator for my fridge smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markeli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 5, 2006
Magna, UT
I just made a cold smoke generator for my fridge smoker.
now I can try to do some smoked cheese and other cold smoked things

Parts list: 12" threaded nipple of 4" dia. iron pipe
1 4" pipe cap
1 4" threaded coupling
1 4" threaded pipe plug
1 18" 3/8" black pipe nipple
1 1/4" barbed fitting

I just built it today and test fired it at noon today and it is still smoking on one fill. I think that means I can get over 8 1/2 hours of smoke on one fill.

I tried to post pics but they won't post

markeli

I just joined the forum because I am in the process of building a setup to "cold smoke". I wish that you would describe your smoke generator and how it works even if you can't get a picture posted. I live in sunny California and the ambient air temp. here is usually above 70 degrees F. in the day time. I want to be able to smoke at 70 degrees. I am considering using a small refrigerator that I can electrically cycle on and off as needed to maintain the temp. Is your refrigerator running (cooling) while you're smoking ?

I am planning on using a separate box for the smoke generation with a pan for either sawdust or chips and possibly a small air blower to move smoke into the refrigerator. I am also wondering how to keep an automatic feed on the wood material for the smoke box. I would like to be able to do a 5 to 10 day smoke on things like hams. I would like to be able to smoke for 12 to 15 hours everyday and then circulate just fresh air. I would like for everything to be pretty much automatic. I am well experienced with electrical, electronic, welding, metal working and refrigeration skills.

welcome to the forum there is a lot of good info on here.

I listed the parts in the first post, take the 12' long 4" dia. nipple and drill and tap it on the side for 3/8" dia Pipe just below the threads on one end then screw the cap on that end thread the coupling in the other end. You will need somthing to support the chips or chunks I used the diffuser plate from an old camp coffee pot, it just fit into the coupling snug. push that up into the coupling as far as it will go. then drill and tap the pipe plug for a 3/8" dia. barb fitting. and you are almost ready to go.
take the cap off the top and fill the 12" nipple with the chunks of your choice stick the 3/8 dia pipe in to your smoker, take a propane tourch and light the chunks from the bottom and get them smoking good then screw the plug on to the bottom and connect an air pump from an aquarium to the barb fittingthen screw the cap back on the top. My test burn today was with mesquite (sp) and it burned for 8 1/2 hours I didnot light the smoker and the smoke generator did not raise the temp in the smoker at all the temp stayed at 50 degrees all day long. I hope this helps with your project.

Markeli

Thanks for the info on your "smoke generator". I was planning on using a bigger pipe from the generator to the smoker box. Most info that I have read suggest at least a 2"ID duct from the generator to the smoker box. I want to "cold Smoke" turkeys and hams. There is a lot of moisture in meat this size that needs to get removed at only 70 degrees F. . If 3/8" ID pipe delivers enough smoke --this would be great since it would probably increase the "burn time" on the wood fuel. My refrigerator is a small type that would normally mount under a counter. I plan on building a small stand for it and of course it'll be used outside in my backyard. The inside is about 18" wide, 18" deep and 30" tall. Is this about the size of your fridge ?

My fridge is an old 1950 s era ge full size fridge I can fit 8 10 lb butts it and it is powered by propane when i want heat and this generator puts out plenty of smoke for hot or cold smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky