Smith & Wesson M&P

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigtrain74

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 23, 2009
Springfield, Ma
Clearly this is not a forum to discuss firearms but this is the only place where I feel comfortable enough to post threads... And I'm sure there is enough of you out there who owns quite a few of them... But Any who....

I unfortunately live in the commonwealth of Massachusetts where the gun laws are ridiculous. Before moving I lived in Connecticut where you could pretty much buy any firearm you wish... I bought a Glock 17 which is a 9mm, 17 round, semi automatic pistol. In the commonwealth I am not allowed to transfer the firearm from another state. The only way I can possess it is if the gun was already in Massachusetts and manufactured prior to 1998.

So, after a lot of research I decided I was going to pick up the Beretta PX4 .40cal. I contacted a local dealer and I was told this pistol was also not legal in Massachusetts. I am now irate!

The reason you are not allowed to purchase these guns are because the company has not submitted the firearm to the attorney general's office for testing. A lot of companies do not sell to Massachusetts because of their crazy laws.

So now the question I have for everyone here is about the Smith & Wesson M&P .40cal. How reliable is this pistol? Anyone find any issues with this pistol? Does anyone use it for their concealed weapon?

If you are curious about the firearms that are legal in the state here is the link to the approved firearm list for the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/...%2004-2009.pdf

BigTrain, I will be happy to help you out.

I own and conceal carry a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 I absolutely love this gun.
I have had it for a little over a year now and I honestly do not think I would trade it for any other gun. I have a military back ground and when I went looking for a gun to carry everyday for self defense I wanted a gun that "just felt right " in my hand. After trying many guns that just didn't seem right the guy gave me the M&P and as they say the rest is history.

I will add that it is on the large side for a concealed carry weapon, and I am no small man but I still wear it comfortably.

I have not had any issues with the gun but I will say it is just like any other weapon. It will function as good as you take care of it. I have put well over 1000 rounds through mine and I clean it after every shoot and I keep it lubed. As far as cleaning this gun it is VERY easy to break down ( barrel and all ) which was another selling point for me.

Hope this helps, if you have an indoor range / gun shop near by maybe they can let you test shoot one to see if you like it. I know they do that here in Texas but not sure about your neck of the woods.

Good Luck and let me know what you think

I just looked at the list and I see Walther PPK is on the list also.

This is a smaller weapon, easier to conceal ( like for the dress up events my wife makes me go to)

Not real sure what you are looking for, but I own this one also.
While it is not my everyday carry weapon, I do carry it from time to time depending on what I am wearing.

Also a very reliable gun and like I said smaller

Good Luck

if not for millions of guns produced right there in MA we would probably be having this conversatoin in german, laws for the sake of laws, they only hurt the legit people, all the wanna be gangsters, drug dealers and pimps ain't worried about this silly list. We have no such laws in Iowa yet our murder rate per capita is even less than MA from all the stats I found on the net.

S&W is very reliable.
I do not currently own one, but i have in my possession a springfield xd .45 acp. Its about as accurate as it gets. I clean it every time im done shooting. I live in CA, and we have strict gun laws too(i doubt they are as strict as yours). you want to carry something that is comfortable, compact, lightweight, etc.
Good luck

The M&P is nice I would also look at the S&W 4013TSW my son in law and I both use them as a carry gun

WOW, this place has changed since last fall, I got my sack drug thru the rocks for posting a pic of me and some dead geese with my "black" SBE in the pic, it got deleted in 2 hrs.

And yes the M&P are nice, freinds have them and really like them. I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm, and really like it

with all the sportsmen on this forum I am suprised we don't see maimed and mangled critters all the time, the first thing everyone I know does is pose behind the kill, some of my good friends have more pictures of them with dead animals then they do of them with their wives and kids.

Benelli Super Black Eagle, it's a 3 1/2" 12ga, shotgun.

And yes JDT, i have more pics of me with dead criiers than i do of me and my dots.

THAT got people upset?
PDT_Armataz_01_15.gif

my feeling is that if God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have made deer (elk, pronghorn, ducks, pheasants etc.) out of meat. we smoke and BBQ meat all the time, the death of the animal is just another step in that process.

but there's something even better than sitting for a picture with a fine specimen, and that is taking a picture of your kids with their first:

2006-11-12_165706_800P1070863.jpg

Thanks everyone... I honestly did not expect this amount of feedback and input... You are all great!!!

I'da liked to see that. Nice weapon.

Your Beretta is a real good keeper- got a Browning hi-power here...I like the 9 mil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky