Smart chickens VS dumb chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zosick

Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Nebraska
I picked up both around the same size and just started brining them. My question is the smart chicken was 1.75 more than the dumb one. That being said the smart chicken seems to have a more over all conforming body, as the the dumb one has a lot of Brest meat and no leg or thigh meat. Anyone else come across this. I normally buy my chickens from the hutterites but didn't want to drive so far.

Let me know your thoughts
Thanks

Ok, I just have to ask. Whats a smart chicken or a dumb chicken for that matter? Sorry I can't help.

Chris

I suppose by the explanation given the smart chicken are "free range" thus getting more exercise. chickens over the decades have been to have bigger breasts, because that is what people wanted.
I heard a something a while ago that do to all theses celebrity using the darker meat, people are starting to want it.

I raise my own chickens usually every other yr I raise about 30 then just five for eggs over the past yrs. I usually only get a few of the hybrid meat chicks as some die early from heart attacks, even thou I have food n water separated otherwise they just sit in one spot and eat n drink all day. now that's a dumb chicken. giving them excersise I butcher at 9 weeks instead of 7 like the cagers. and the meat is then not mushy like store bought. yhe other chickens I get that are just missing the point and are funny to watch are favarolles dumber n rocks but very nice looking and grow big. others are sex links, oppy's, barred rock, astrolope ect. heritage take about 13 weeks.

They both end up dead .
Exactly, a real smart chicken would have gotten away!

The chicken is more $ so we don't get it often. It is actually a brand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky