Small Batch Of Eye Of Round Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Kid brought some of my Jerky to work with him. The guy he works with said I should start selling it as it was great LOL
Like I don't have enough to do already.
Decided to make him and his buddy some more and found a smaller sized round of eye (4.4lbs.)
Sliced this one a tad to thin and it was done a lot faster because of the thickness. I just caught it in time but would have liked pulling it from the smoker a little sooner.
Used my Back Woods Jerky recipe. Its on the forum someplace.
20220815_120957.jpg
20220815_123753.jpg
20220815_191610.jpg
20220816_085908.jpg

Looks really good.

Any idea what the temp got up to in there?

I've been reading that jerky has to get to around 160 or so.

Is this your recipe?

Devo1,
Is that a gas smoker? If so, were you able to run it at the typical 160ish temp? How long did the smoker run? It's been such a long time since I did beef Jerky. Might be getting the urge to make some.

Last edited:
Looks really good.

Any idea what the temp got up to in there?

I've been reading that jerky has to get to around 160 or so.
I have always done my jerky at 150° F.
Whole-muscle meat that is cured will never give you a problem @ 150° F. Ground meat you might want to take it to 160° F.
I run the a Auber Instruments Programmable PID Controller to control the heat. Element is in the bottom so I have to rotate the racks often.

Is this your recipe?

Yes that is one that I posted. Experiment with it to get the taste you like. Me I don't like hot any more so I cut back on anything that make it hot.
Hey ol friend...Nice jerky and good to see you posting.
Hi bud, not much smoking or charcuterie these days so not much to post about. Hopefully I can pick things up in the fall.
Devo1,
Is that a gas smoker? If so, were you able to run it at the typical 160ish temp? How long did the smoker run? It's been such a long time since I did beef Jerky.
No actually that is or was a precision incubator oven that the Lab at work used to use to dry News Print paper samples to see the actual moister content of the paper. When I retired 8 years ago I gifted it to my self as they were not using this one any more. I just converted it to a smoker. It has 8 large shelfs and is great for jerky, Kielbasa or snack sticks. Pretty much any thing other then bacon as it does not have a grease collector. Like I said above I use the Auber Instruments Programmable PID Controller to control the heat. I had a smoke daddy hooked up to the side of it but do not use it anymore as it is is a pain in the butt and most useless gadget I have ever used for smoke. Been using the tube smokers for years, works the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah i hear ya.

I have not done much sausage or salumi making since moving.

I do have to make 5lb of sticks for our gran daughter when i get back.

Reactions: KBFlyer
Thanks for the quick response. How long do you typically run the smoker ?
Well it all depends on pretty much one thing. The thickness of the meat. This last batch was just over a 1\8 inch and was done pretty much by 6-7 hours but I started out at 120° F for two hours to dry it out before adding smoke. I have another batch in the fridge curing and it was cut 1\4 inch and I suspect it will take the two hours at 120 and then probably another 8 hours at 150° F. The trick to making good jerky in a smoker is rotating the racks and keeping an eye on the jerky near the end of the smoke. It should have a bend to it and not break apart like a cracker :) You will know when its done.

Yeah i hear ya.

I have not done much sausage or salumi making since moving.

I do have to make 5lb of sticks for our gran daughter when i get back.
Ya the boy is out working full time now and doing the Army reserves in his free time so really don't get to see him all that much any more. Plus his girlfriend takes up most of whats left so old dad really has not much to do anymore. lol
Daughter, son in law and grand kids are down in southern Ontario so I see them about once a year so getting cheaper to go to our Commissary (Polish) where they offers a variety of cold cuts, cured meats, pickled vegetables, daily lunch specials and the best bacon in town. If I ever thought about getting a job it would be there LOL

The jerky looks fantastic and I always preferred sliced whole muscle over a ground meat product when I made it myself. Mine was mostly venison from deer that I shot.
...the Lab at work used to use to dry News Print paper samples to see the actual moister content of the paper. When I retired 8 years ago I gifted it to my self...
Retired paper maker myself after 27 years as a wet end operator with International Paper making uncoated free sheet or fine white paper as some call it. I've been retired about 6 years now...

Reactions: KBFlyer
Devo1,
I really appreciate the detailed replies. I have both smokers and a dehydrator. Have made tons of Salmon jerky by smoking it for 2 hours, then into the dehydrator for 4 hours. Never needed to rotate the dehydrator trays. Hoping I can do this with the beef.

Again, thanks

The jerky looks fantastic and I always preferred sliced whole muscle over a ground meat product when I made it myself. Mine was mostly venison from deer that I shot.

Retired paper maker myself after 27 years as a wet end operator with International Paper making uncoated free sheet or fine white paper as some call it. I've been retired about 6 years now...
Right on brother, worked for Great Lakes Forest products that changed their name many times in the 40 years I was there. Mostly News Print but we made Bag stock for fast food companies. Made many different grades when News Print was on its way out. Retired as a working foreman of a crew of 5 guys. Broke a North American high speed paper machine record on #5 paper machine during my time as a paper maker.
Miss the guys but sure do not miss the place as it took its toll on me over the years.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Yes I have a dehydrator that has two fans in it and I use it mostly during the winter months as it gets pretty darn cold here in Northern Ontario in the winter for smoking. Its called a Sadona. Bought it years ago and still going strong.

Attachments

• 20220818_121620.jpg
    20220818_121620.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220818_121742.jpg
    20220818_121742.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 13
Second batch went in this morning. Cut @ 1\4 in thick. Being a round roast they kind of look like 1\4 pounder burgers. lol
Almost finished the smoking part and now the checking and rotating part is in full swing. Being thicker these might go into the evening hours before being done.

Attachments

• 20220818_115936.jpg
    20220818_115936.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220818_115928.jpg
    20220818_115928.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky