Slow Smoked Short ribs with sauce (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
I had some beef ribs I wanted to smoke for NYE and of course I found a video of Malcolm Reed cooking them with a reduction sauce and here we are.......

I coated the ribs with EVOO to help the rub stick and dusted them with a layer of Killer Hogs AP rub followed with Killer Hogs TX brisket rub. Sorry, No pics but ya'll know what that looks like. I slide them in the Cooker rolling at 230 with Hickory/Cherry combo and decided to try a batch of bacon wrapped Kielbasa.
tempImagef1lzQh.png

Tried Carolina Dirt BBQ Rub #16
tempImageoxhmDX.png

The ribs @ 1 hour when I put the bacon wrapped sausage on (I also slide in a couple with Jalapeños)
tempImage7wWzAg.png

While the ribs & bacon wraps are on the cooker getting smoke I prep the sauce pan. This is all basic Au Jus type ingredient but it finishes much different than Au Jus.
2 cups of Beef Broth
1/2 cup red wine of your choice (I used a dry merlot)
1/2 Onion cut in quarters
2 sticks celery cut in chunks
dozen baby carrots whole
4 large cloves of whole garlic cut in half
1 TBS Killer Hogs AP rub
6 OZ tomato paste
Took that and put it in the oven to get it up to temp prior to adding beef ribs. The tomato paste mixes better after it warms up as well.
tempImageDa30vX.png

Here's the bacon wrapped Kielbasa. Found out I don't like Kielbasa :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:................... Other than that this works well. I'll have to figure out what to use next time!
tempImagebkzSm9.png

Got the before ^^^^^ and after vvvv photos of the ribs in the sauce pan. I also increased the cooker temp to 275 for the last hour.
tempImagetXKVbq.png

After one hour @ 275 deg. Beautiful aroma at this stage.
tempImagec1hkJz.png

I removed the ribs, strained the juice from the veggies, removed about 2 TBS of grease off the top and gave it a good 10 minute reduction. This stuff rocked! Exceeded my expectations by a lot. There's some nice potential here so I recommend the sauce trick.
tempImagedTKHmU.png

After 4 hours of smoke with a nice finish temp around 185
tempImageY6VxmK.png

Money shot!

My take? For me, find another sausage beside Kielbasa and try that trick again! I was really pleased with the reduction/sauce. I typically stay away from tomato sauces & paste in my sauces but this worked so I'm gonna stick with these ingredients & amounts for another run soon & see if I can repeat it. Very nice finish and was great with salad & mashed taters. The ribs that cooked in the sauce were fantastic and of course the just fell off the bone. The 4 hour smoked ribs were just what you'd expect. Perfect combo of savory with smoke and very tender. I just believe low & slow is the way to go with beef ribs.

Happy New Year everybody and thanks for looking - Keep on Smoking!!!!

You deliver? Looks very nice. I'm kind of disappointed about the kielbasa. I've been thinking about trying that. What didn't you like about it?

I am a big Malcolm Reed fan. Those Ribs look incredible!!! You need to get your Kielbasa or any sausage at Hirsh's Meat Market in Plano. They have a ton of fresh sausages. My favorite is the cuban but thier Kielbasa is by far the best I have had. Prices have gone up since this virus but they always have some on sale. Best butcher in this area!

OK Randy, I'm in. that all looks spectacular. I have a large pack of Dino ribs in the freezer that I'm gonna do in this manner. That sauce looks to die for and bet it was amazing with the ribs. Excellent job sir!!

Robert

Thanks everyone, Yeah I don't know if those flavors didn't work for me or what? I used Hickory Farms Beef Polska Kielbasa? Don't get me wrong it wasn't terrible but it wasn't what I expected. I've also heard many times about the Hirsh's Meatmarket and hope to get there in the future. Yeah, of the many many times I've attempted sauces of various flavors to only throw them out this one was different. It still very basic and just worked. Again, this whole concept started with Malcom Reed. It's on Youtube for any that have interest.

Thanks again - it was good for lunch today as well! Sauce is all gone :)

Killer ribs Randy, and the sauce looks to be a real keeper also, Like! I used to make a batch of Kielbasa every now and then, wasn't my favorite and everyone seemed to like the Italian sausage I make a lot more, that's about all I make these days, in pork and chicken. RAY

Unreal Randy--Thanks for the pictures. Ohhhh That looks so good--so very, very good. I've got to try that...................................

OP, try a different brand of kielbasa, or a different source if market made. For a different flavor try some andouille.

Those ribs look out of this world Randy - great job. It's to bad you didn't like the kielbasa. Your only two ingredients away from a pork shot.

Point for sure
Chris

Never done a combo smoke/braise. If I understand correctly, you smoked at 230 for 3 hours, then1 hour 275 in braising liquid (still in smoker). After 4 hours total, short ribs were at 185F. And I like the look of your sauce. Maybe shred the meat into the sauce with pinto beans?

Never done a combo smoke/braise. If I understand correctly, you smoked at 230 for 3 hours, then1 hour 275 in braising liquid (still in smoker). After 4 hours total, short ribs were at 185F. And I like the look of your sauce. Maybe shred the meat into the sauce with pinto beans?

Yes this is correct. Many options on how to serve this and I bet it would be tasty if shredded as well. The next time I make this (and I will) I plan to ad 1 or 2 TBS of Worcestershire sauce to the recipe. I don't plan to change anything else really.

The AP rub is nothing more than the Killer Hogs version of SPOG so that's something any of us can mix up on our own. I just went the lazy route and used Killer Hogs. It's a good blend. Jeff's Texas Rub will work on this as well and is still one of my favorite rubs.

Very simple and easy thing to try. Make it your own, dog!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky