Slicing for burnt ends after the brisket is cooked.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So I have done a few packers now and have been pleased with the results. What I haven't done is burnt ends. I would prefer not to separate the flat from the point pre cook but would still like burnt ends. Can anyone link me to some good advice on how to do this? Thanks!

Haha! So funny you posted that because I just watched that and thought what the hell?!?! Who removes all the bark from a brisket? What a travesty . Not only that but it looked dryer than shoe leather. He picks it up and there was no jiggle. Like a solid brick of meat.

Reactions: smokinq13
Just how i like it shoe leather!.. but to be honest the layer of fat between the flat n point tells you have to separate it, if its cooked as long as it needs too, it should literally almost separate itself without any cutting needed. Just follow that layer and when you decide that you have enough for the "flat" slab of brisket turn your knife and cut down through to completely separate it

Actually you should be able to remove the point from the flat with a spatula when it's done.
Just slide the spatula between the two in the layer of fat & they will come right apart.
Al

Actually you should be able to remove the point from the flat with a spatula when it's done.
Just slide the spatula between the two in the layer of fat & they will come right apart.
Al

Thanks Al! I'll give that a try. Second question. When preparing for burnt ends how much fat are you trimming from the cap pre-cook? Still leave a quarter inch? I have seen videos when people separate the point from the flat where they remove all the fat and still get good bark. Thanks!

Thanks Al! I'll give that a try. Second question. When preparing for burnt ends how much fat are you trimming from the cap pre-cook? Still leave a quarter inch? I have seen videos when people separate the point from the flat where they remove all the fat and still get good bark. Thanks!

Yes I leave 1/4". When I separate the two, then I trim the fat off when I cube up the point for burnt ends. You can remove a lot of the fat between the two pre-cook, but it's a little tedious to do.
Good luck!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky