Sliced smoked salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrisebo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
Dayton ohio
So I want to replicate the thin sliced smoked salmon that you can buy in the stores. My idea is to buy a fillet and low smoke it (165 F)
What I am curious about, is what temp should I cook it till?

So I want to replicate the thin sliced smoked salmon that you can buy in the stores. My idea is to buy a fillet and low smoke it (165 F)
What I am curious about, is what temp should I cook it till?
You are referring to lox. It's actually not cooked but instead cured with sodium nitrite (cure #1) then cold smoked and sliced thin.

I agree with Jake. Lox is what I am thinking you are talking about. A fully cooked filet would be hard to slice thin, they flake apart.

Thanks. How do you know if the Lox has "cured" the fish enough?? Also what temp would you smoke it to?

Reactions: SmokinAl
I like the looks of that. I am using a treager to smoke. What do you think, just let it smoke with the lid up to keep temperature down, or buy a tube and put in the treager, with it off?

Don’t slice through the skin for Lox.. these guys have you covered on how to cure! Can’t wait to see the finished product 🥹

Thanks. How do you know if the Lox has "cured" the fish enough?? Also what temp would you smoke it to?
It's a combination of time, a visual and a texture. If you are introducing cold smoke to your lox process, it's known as Nova lox. Un-smoked lox can be cured in the refrigerator sometimes without using Cure #1, and sometimes with Cure #1.

For Nova lox, you are not cooking to temp. You are 'flavor smoking' it only. Different people prefer different levels of smoke.

Here is a visual of cured and hot smoked salmon and Nova lox (mine is double cured). The Nova lox I make almost has a candied or jellied texture, and it's hard to see but I add some dried dill since traditional lox (refrigerator style) is often packed in salt and fresh dill.
483588-7f74f6a3664dfab28caa5dd94b08733e.jpg
483589-c8c6e55e4915cea779522c494a26dfc6.jpg
Here is how I approach Nova lox, my technique takes around 60 hours start to finish:

Reactions: TNJAKE
If you are considering doing lox which as stated above as being cold smoke, I would consider a AMNPS (tray) instead of the AMNTS (tube). The tube can put out way too much smoke sometimes, unless you learn how to fill the tube just half way. Depending on your location and the local temp, I would smoke early in the morning.

If my memory serves me correctly, my Salmon lox recipe is something like:
8 hours - dry brine
8 hours - wet brine
Refresh and fridge dry for 5 hours
Room dry for a couple hours
Cold smoke for 3 hours

There are tons of Lox recipes out there. It's just a matter of what looks good to you. You might try doing a couple different recipes so you can do a taste test over a glass of wine

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky