• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sirloin tip roast question

stokensmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 6, 2016
Got a guy at work that is going to smoke an 8 pound sirloin tip roast. Already told him to cook it to 140 then let it rest an hour. His question was - approximately how long will it take to get to 140? I've never smoked to med rare so I didn't have an answer. But I knew you guys would. Need some pointers please

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Sirloin roasts smoke best at a low temp, 225-250F or so.  It allows more smoke flavor to build on the roast and keeps the outer edges from getting well done.  You get a nice, pink consistency through the whole roast. 

Unfortunately it won't brown the roast like a higher temp will, so a hot sear at the end of the smoke, called a "reverse sear," browns it up nicely.  It's an eyeball kind of thing. 

At 225-250F, an 8 lb roast will take around 5 hours to hit 140F, give or take. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks