Sirloin tip question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johntroxel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Muscoda, WI
I just back from the store where they had a 12lb sirloin tip roast on sale for 2.68 a lb.  Got it home, trimmed and washed it, put on mustard and loaded it with Montreal Steak Seasoning.  There is a few layers of sinew/fat that run through the meat.  My question is what temp is best to take this too?  I am looking to slice it into 1/2 in steaks and serve with some au jus for supper tonight.  Is a piece of meat like this best to take to around 140 or is the 180 better to render some of that fat.

Personally I think the 140 area is better it really doesn't have the fat content to take to the higher temps. It also is great sliced very thin and used for roast beef sandwiches

Thanks guys.  I have it on my Traeger right now on smoke setting of 180.  I will leave it there for 3 hours and then probably bump it up to 225 to finish it off.  I am trying Mesquite for the first time to see how I like it.  I kinda like the more flavorful wood on the bigger cuts (hickory, oak, etc) so we will see how the mesquite does.  I am almost afraid I put it on too early so I may just leave it on longer at the 180 setting.  Our camera is getting fixed right now or I would have some great pics for ya.  My phone pics are always a bit blurry.

I'm not so sure about leaving it set at 180˚ that long---safety wise.

I would have started at least at 225˚.

Bear

Agree with temp too low, but not for safety reasons. That piece is an intact muscle, washed and rubbed. The chances of contamination are pretty low IMO. The method of starting high and letting it settle-in has always worked for me.

Agree with temp too low, but not for safety reasons. That piece is an intact muscle, washed and rubbed. The chances of contamination are pretty low IMO. The method of starting high and letting it settle-in has always worked for me.
You didn't originally say you started high, unless I missed it.

It appeared as though you started at 180˚.

If you started at 225˚ or more for an hour, and then went down to 180˚, that's different.

Thanks for your reply,

Bear

The problem with smoking a large chunk of meat at 180 is getting it through the "Danger Zone" in time 41-135 in less than 4 hours if its not an intact muscle and even if it falls into the intact muscle rule I don't know that you can get that outer 1/2" to temp in time at a smoker temp of 180

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky