Simple pellet tube side smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dan K

Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
I bought a Masterbuilt 30" a few weeks ago and was getting a lot of creosote build-up, so I found some info here about mailbox mods and cold smoke pellet devices.
I found a few bits and pieces in my garage and bought a 12" tube.
I used a 24" length of 4" round duct with a 3" reducer with a crimped end which fits snugly into the wood chip filler hole. I just light the pellet tube and stick it in the duct. I added some short legs to the tube by using sheet metal screws.
Works great. Burns about 4 hours, which is fine with me since I mostly smoke fish, shrimp, pork belly strips, popcorn and malt. Picture attached. Note the light smoke.
MES pellet tube.jpg

Reactions: deora68
That pipe looks to be galvanized. If it is, I would highly recommend burning the galvanized coating off before using it. The chemicals used in galvanizing can cause you to get extremely ill.

Other than that, nice setup!

I have a length of stovepipe & use the same setup. I used to hook it up the the MB cold smoker attachment, but that thing burned out. So I just put the tube inside the stove pipe and it works just fine!
Al

That pipe looks to be galvanized. If it is, I would highly recommend burning the galvanized coating off before using it. The chemicals used in galvanizing can cause you to get extremely ill.

Other than that, nice setup!
Thanks,
Good point about the galvanized coating. Although it seemed like it got coated with creosote, I'LL open the seam and sand the inside of the tube before snapping it closed again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky