Simple brisket question.. i think

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbone2k

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
so when i normally get a brisket at the store, its generally around 2#. already cut up and the fat shaved off of it.

and soon i'm gonna be cooking for 10+ people.. so i thought i'd buy myself a whole flat. but, man, those things are HUGE.. and lots of fat on it. I know that Hy Vee will cut it up for me and get it ready. What should i have them do to it.?? cut off some of the fat.? i think i should have it cut in half since it may not fit in my smoke hollow elec.

I've never bought a big flat before. which it sounds like around here is the way to go anyway.

got some tips for me on that one>?

You mean the whole packer? Flat + the point............or just a large flat. The 2lbers you are getting are just a portion of the flat.........but you can have a flat that is 7 or 8 lbs........and the whole packer cut over 10lbs (usually).

Either way, I would get trim it myself that way you have control over how much fat is left on........it isn't too tough of a task.........but can be intimitidating if you have not done one.

This might help if you have not seen it.

http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm

I dont even think I have seen a 2# brisket, must be the point or something. You should get the brisket you like, portioned to the amount of people you are going to feed and trim it yourself (leaving a fat cap) and go for it. As much as possible I would try not to cut it in half. I just saw a post where a guy used a rib rack to smoke a brisket that wouldnt lay flat in his smoker and it looked great.

Good luck
wink.gif

I'm not sure what you're buying if they're only two lbs. I would guess a point but it may be a small flat.

In any event, the whole packer thing has been covered. I would suggest you go to a Costco or perhaps a Sam's Club and get some flats. I get all my flats from Costco, in fact I just got one yesterday, $3.99 lb and it's a 5lber. I'm doing that and chicken burgers this Sunday for 10 people as well.

Here's what a 5 lb flat looks like basically, fat cap down:

Here's a shot of the fat cap up while it's marinating:

Try using the search feature on this site, there is more information on brisket here than you can imagine. Look for Smoky Okie's brisket method (searing) do some research on the threads here and and you will learn more than you ever thought there was to know about the subject.
NavionJim

thats a really good link.. and its the flat and point. its about 7-8 lbs i think. maybe more. but, after seeing that, it looks easy enough. but, i'm sure i'll screw it up somehow. haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky