Silverbac or Trailblazer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colton Adams

Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Hey,

I've narrowed my options down to the Grilla Grills Silverbac and the RecTec Trailblazer. Anyone have experience with the both of them? Is having the wifi controller on the RecTec a must have? Silverbac for the money in the better deal, but only one meat probe.

Hoping to get some pros and cons between the two! Thanks!

Colton, while I don't own either one of these units I have spent a lot of time researching which pellet grill to add to my patio. I think the answer lies in what your intentions are for the cooker. Is your main concern capacity, price, portability, ease of use, warranty/customer service.

Capacity. The Grilla has 692 inches of cooking space with the second shelf while the RecTec has 511. One advantage of the Grilla is the storage cabinet below the cooker. Nice spot to store pellets, grates, grill tools, etc.

Price. The Grilla comes in at $749 versus $599 for the RecTec.

Portability. The Grilla weighs in at 170 pounds making it difficult to move for the average person. On the other hand, the Trailblazer is specifically designed to be portable.

Ease of Use. I personally wouldn't worry about the Grilla only having a single probe. This can be remedied with a wireless meat thermometer. There are tons of options available (ThermoPro, Maverick, ThermoWorks Smoke, Fireboard etc.). One disadvantage of the Grilla is custom cook plans and pit temperature adjustment which you will have with the WiFi enabled RecTec. For me, this is an important distinction because you can do a temperature hold on your cook (Drop it down to 180 or so once your pork butt hits 200 internal so it does not continue to cook) if you are away from the smoker and unable to tend to it.

Controller. The RecTec has a PID controller which will result in more consistent cook temps that the Grilla. However, some argue that the controller on the Grill allows for small temp swings plus or minus from your target temp resulting in more smoke in the cook chamber.

Warranty. The Grilla has a 4 year warranty and the RecTec Trailblazer is 2 years. While I can't speak directly to their either company's customer service I have read many comments from people pleased with RecTec's responsiveness.

I hope this info. will help you with your purchasing decision. Keep us posted on which cooker you ultimately decide to go with.

I cannot comment on the RecTec since I have not owned one. I am sure it works as advertised. I own a Silverbac for about a year and a half. I have been very satisfied with my purchase. The longer warranty and insulated cook chamber were big selling points for me. I rarely use the temperature probe that is built in the controller. I rely on my wireless probes and my Thermapen.

I hope this helps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky