Sign of the times, I guess.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I just used my last pre-tubed casings from Syracuse Casings a few days ago and went to order some more.
I know it's been a couple of years but the casings were still good. They came in three plastic containers well salted.
I made the same order (34-36mm natural). 100yds for $34. They took the order and my credit card but no confirmation.
I called after a couple of days just to make sure the order went through and they said yes, it was shipped. OK.
They got here today.
casings.jpg
No more plastic containers. I'm going to have to containerize and add salt so these will last.
Also the card coming with them says "35/38mm", but I ordered 34-36.
I can work with that.
Oh, well. Like I said, I guess it's just a sign of the times....

That started 3 years ago for me . I saved my bucket from TSM and reuse it . New ones come in a plastic bag .

Other than that, how do you like their casings? I was just comparing them, LEM, TSM, Butcher Packer, Smokehouse Chef, Waltons yesterday, in preparation for an order. LEM and SausageMaker were almost 50% higher or more.

Butchers Pantry seemed very good, but no phone or ability to contact them to ask questions, so don't want to use them before I hear from someone who has.

Last edited:
I've ordered several batches of casings from Syracuse and all have come in plastic bags, just as you posted here. I keep them in the bag they shipped in but after opening, I put that whole bag into a Ziploc bag. Never had any issues at all with them.

Robert

Other than that, how do you like their casings? I was just comparing them, LEM, TSM, Butcher Packer, Smokehouse Chef, Waltons yesterday, in preparation for an order. LEM and SausageMaker were almost 50% higher or more.

Butchers Pantry seemed very good, but no phone or ability to contact them to ask questions, so don't want to use them before I hear from someone who has.
I like them a lot and am hooked on the pre-tubed. This last casing from at least 2 yrs ago (maybe more) worked fine, though I got a couple of pinhole leaks. I think it was from overstuffing and they never blew out.

I've ordered several batches of casings from Syracuse and all have come in plastic bags, just as you posted here. I keep them in the bag they shipped in but after opening, I put that whole bag into a Ziploc bag. Never had any issues at all with them.

Robert
In retrospect I think the containers was an option that they no longer offer (at least not last Saturday).
I was thinking about a container but a Ziploc sounds good, too.
I haven't opened the bag yet to see if they're well salted.

I haven't opened the bag yet to see if they're well salted.
I can pretty much assure you that they are well salted :emoji_wink: That's one thing I love about these casings. If you have a decent length left after you finish stuffing, just slide it back onto the tube, cover with salt, and put it back in the bag to use next time.
I rinse and soak them at least overnight before stuffing.
I rinse them also of course but honestly, 10 to 15 minutes is all the soaking time you need to get them nice and pliable to slide onto the stuffing horn.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky