shrimp fra diavolo ala CI pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Shrimp Fra diavolo is a favorite dish of mine. And I usually start from scratch with this. But since I get home at 7:00PM or a touch later. I had to improvise on the build.

_DSC0535.jpg

24oz of a spicy base sauce. The Priano spicy red pepper sauce is actually a pretty darn good base sauce.
Small can of sliced mushrooms.
1/2 pound large cooked shrimp.
Kalamata olives. More on that in a minute.
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
1/ tsp pepper.
1/2 pound cooked and drained spaghetti.

Heat up the sauce with the red and black pepper you want to see a little steam coming from the sauce. Do not boil. Then add the shrimp and olives. If you never had Kalamata olives before.I advice care when using them. I add blindly until I get the ratio where I want it. Probably 5 or so TBS Whatever brine is on the spoon is added as well.
They are salty with their brine. And are stronger tasting then normal olives. Much more so then black olives.
I love how they add complexity to a sauce with their unique flavor and texture. For me. I prefer them whole in the sauce. I like the punch when you get one
in the fork of spaghetti.
Continue warming the sauce until the shrimp have warmed up some. You are not trying to cook anything in the pot. Just warming and melding the flavors.
Do this for about 10 minutes.
Now to build.

_DSC0536.JPG

Add 1/2 of the sauce to bottom of pan. This is a 10" enamel coated CI pan.

_DSC0537.JPG

Add the spaghetti.

_DSC0538.JPG

Add remaining sauce. I didn't take a picture of adding the cheese. I used a healthy dose of finely shredded cheese blend that has Monterey jack, cheddar, Queso quesadilla, and Asadero cheeses.

_DSC0539.JPG

Put in oven at 350 for 15 minutes Then on broil until cheese is nicely melted. No money shot. I chowed right out of the pan with crusty bread. And there is left over for lunch.
This came out absolutely fantastic!

Last edited:
Looks good Steve ! Im a big fan of kalamata olives! I like to add them to pizza as well as pastas.

Shrimp fra diavolo is an all time favorite of mine too! Your recipe is different than the one I have used...but yours sounds delicious! I’m gonna need to make this soon.

Like!

Fine looking piece of work there Steve, Like! I'm thinking shrimp are going to be one of the more popular proteins when my little CI pans come into use. RAY

Shrimp fra diavolo is an all time favorite of mine too! Your recipe is different than the one I have used...but yours sounds delicious! I’m gonna need to make this soon.

Like!

Thanks! My regular recipe is different as well. This was just a quick meal.

Reactions: xray
" 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. "
I really expected to see Reaper Flakes in this LOL Likes
It does sound like it would be great with the sauce I made yesterday it is loaded with shrooms
Nice job Likes
Richie

" 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. "
I really expected to see Reaper Flakes in this LOL Likes
It does sound like it would be great with the sauce I made yesterday it is loaded with shrooms
Nice job Likes
Richie

LOL! I should have used some too. It would really have stepped up the heat.

Yeah, I know, I'm late again!!
Looks Mighty Tasty Steve!!
Wish I could make that here.
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky