Shrimp and crawdad Etouffee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
  • I have had a package of crawdad tails in the freezer for over a month waiting for a rainy day cook. Today was that day. I decided to do a shrimp and crawdad etouffee with keto cheese "grits". The entire meal as always is keto approved.

First up the "grits". I often do these with smoked gouda but decided today to use a nice gruyere cheese.

Ingredients:
  • 18 oz riced cauliflower
  • 1 cup hemp hearts
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tbsp cream cheese
  • 8 oz. shredded Gruyere
grits ingredients.jpg

Melt the butter and then cook the cauliflower and hemp hearts until tender. Add the remaining ingredients except for the cheese and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Add the cheese and stir until you have a consistent creamy mix. These will thicken up to a nice consistency when the cool a bit.

grits finished.jpg

Etouffee Ingredients:
1 lbs. peeled veined crawdad tails
1 lbs. peeled veined shrimp
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup almond flour
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper (I used poblanos)
1 cup diced celery
4 cloves minced garlic
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp each smoked paprika, oregano and thyme (I used fresh oregano and thyme from my garden so 1 tbsp each)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
14 oz. can of diced tomatoes drained
etouffe ingredients1.jpg

etouffe ingredients 2.jpg

First up making a roux with the butter and almond flour.
roux.jpg

Adding the veggies to the roux and cooking until soft.
veggies in roux.jpg

Adding the garlic and spices and simmer for a few minutes
veggies in roux with spices.jpg

Next up adding in the cream, dream cheese, chicken stock, tomato paste and tomatoes.
adding liquids.jpg

Simmered the liquids for about 10 minutes to thicken some and then added the shrimp and crawdad tails. Increased heat a bit and cooked until the shrimp and crawdad tails were cooked. Off to a bowl with some green onions on top.

finished full bowl etouffe.jpg

Made a quick appetizer frying scallops in my cast iron in a tarragon infused butter with lemon. Cooked a mushroom medley with them as well. Served up with the butter and some tarragon sprigs. I did not get as nice a sear on the scallops as I wanted but overall they were delicious and the tarragon butter was great with them. Tarragon is something I do not use much but need to use more. Really nice flavor.
scallops 2.jpg

Here is the etouffee plated. I fried a few of the shrimp in butter while making the appetizer and dusted them with Tony C's cajun spice. to serve on a skewer with the etouffee.

plated 2.jpg

That is a wrap. This stuff was very tasty. Next time I make kick the cayenne up a notch but overall this dish was amazing. The etouffee really goes well with the "grits" making for a really great mouthful of food. Not doubt the fresh herbs helped kick things up a notch too. As always thanks for looking.

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! My oldest went to the CIA and made some fabulous Etouffee. The issue, lots of separate steps and layering. This looks delicious and is developed but straight forward. Saved to my do list. And, I agree, I too under use Tarragon in seafood dishes...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
My gosh Jeff what great looking etouffee!! The whole dish just looks amazing, colorful and vibrant! I love riced cauliflower so I would be all over this dish!

Like!

Wow Jeff!! Another spectacular, magazine quality, carousel worthy work of art. A simply stunning meal...again. Me thinks you've found your calling in life buddy...just not sure if it's being a 5-star chef or a professional photographer :emoji_wink:

LIKE!!
Robert

Man o man that is a thing of beauty!
I think I could eat that whole dish ( when I was younger ), but I’d sure like a plate full now!
Awesome!!!
Al

Now that there is one fine looking plate.
Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky