Should I sear my beef ribs before I smoke them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqprep

Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
SW California near the ocean
Hi fellow smokers.

I'm going to smoke 12 long cut beef short ribs today in my Traeger Texas Grill. Is it recommended to sear them first. I have a Weber charcoal grill I can use.

Last edited:
I've never heard of anyone doing that but you could try, maybe sear half of them first and then sear the other half after and see which ones you like better and of course let us know too!

Half the fun of this is trying new things and new methods to find what you really like best and so you're not always eating the same old thing!

Last edited:
I've read searing first holds in the juice. My wife thinks that the smoke flavor will be less if I sear first. I have 12 ribs with 4 different seasonings on batches of 3. I'll sear the salt, pepper. garlic powder batch before I smoke them and see if there's a difference.

I'm taking pictures as I go and will post tomorrow. How many pictures can you post per thread?

Last edited:
I've read searing first holds in the juice. My wife thinks that the smoke flavor will be less if I sear first. I have 12 ribs with 4 different seasonings on batches of 3. I'll sear the salt, pepper. garlic powder batch before I smoke them and see if there's a difference.

I'm taking pictures as I go and will post tomorrow. How many pictures can you post per thread?
As many as you want but j[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]ust so you know since you are new if you post any pics our software will probably hold the post until a moderator can approve it. Just be patient and don't double post it because you don't see it show up right away, someone will get to it! We do this to keep the spammers out and so no one posts anything inappropriate until we get to know them. This only lasts until you make about 20 posts.[/color]

I recently did some beef ribs and while they turned out really good, I was disappointed in the flavor. I did them like pork ribs but with a different rub of course. they had that "hamy" flavor. I was expecting more of a steak flavor. Next time I will only smoke them for an hour or two them grill'em. I hope that gives them the flavor I'm looking for.

And man do they shrink!

Hi fellow smokers.

I'm going to smoke 12 long cut beef short ribs today in my Traeger Texas Grill. Is it recommended to sear them first. I have a Weber charcoal grill I can use.

Sorry I'm late.

Searing to hold in the juices is a myth.

I would not sear, however, you can use quick high heat to setup a glaze that you can put on the ribs.

What was your conclusion?

I decided not to sear the ribs and I'm glad I didn't. They were very juicy due to the fat content.

I'm still waiting for my pictures to post from yesterday. . When your'e new they hold them for awhile. You can see in the pictures how moist they are.

I also keep trays of water under the meat while smoking. Sometimes I use apple juice.

Last edited:
I decided not to sear the ribs and I'm glad I didn't. They were very juicy due to the fat content.

I'm still waiting for my pictures to post from yesterday. . When your'e new they hold them for awhile. You can see in the pictures how moist they are.

I also keep trays of water under the meat while smoking. Sometimes I use apple juice.
Some of us here like to throw a  pan of beans underneath our ribs, especially Dutch's Wicked Baked

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky