Should I remove the skin before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jester805

Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
Hey guys,
I am new here. I have a 30" Masterbuilt propane smoker that I've used for years. I am learning a lot thanks to all of you!

I have a question about smoking poultry. Do you remove the skin? Or leave it on? I have read where you leave it on and tun up the temp in the last half hour to get a good crisp. I was thinking I should remove the skin. I am going to smoke some chicken legs tomorrow and not sure which route to go.

1. If I apply a dry rub to the skin, then smoke it, should I remove the skin before eating?
  2. Should I peel back the skin, apply the dry rub, then pull the skin back over the rub?
  3. Should I remove the skin and apply the dry rub directly on the meat then smoke it?

Looking for any advice.

Thanks! :)

Some do for health reasons and others.
I don't, not even if I wasn't going to eat it.
I think it keeps the meat moister, adds flavor from it's fat and if cooked properly is often my favorite part of the bird.
Smoking poultry and getting skin that is crisp and tasty can be a real challenge for some.
It's often rubbery and gets tossed.
Not me, there are ways to get that skin totally mack'able.

Dry brine the skin with baking powder and salt in a 1:3 ratio.
Air dry the skin in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
Smoke at 350°-375°.
You'll wind up with a crisp skin, not crispy crunchy, but a nice bite through with a 'Pop!'

Last edited:
Just wanted to follow-up to say the chicken turned out awesome! I did not do the baking powder & salt, but I did turn the temp up closer to 300 and cooked for an extra hour. The meat was falling off the bone.

Thanks again, Chili!! :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky