Should I Pull The Trigger On This GMG?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurd2408

Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
I need some help. I've been waiting for a good deal to finally make the change to pellet smoking. A local dealer of Green Mountain Grills is moving show rooms and closing out there smokers. I'm guessing they are also getting ready for the new Prime models (hopefully everyone has seen the new grills). I have an opportunity to get the original Jim Bowie wifi model for $650. I know it usually ranges from $750-$900. According to the GMG website when the Prime comes out next week it'll be $900 and the original will be $750. I know this is a good deal and I don't want to spend $900 on the new Prime. But should I wait to see if the Prime model goes on sell some holiday and closes the gap to make it worth it? Should I see if the originals go down more in price when the prime comes out? Or should I wait and try to pick up a used original when people start replacing theirs with the new model? I have to decide by Wednesday. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a good deal to me,also it sounds like a local dealer so beats email ect trying to get problems fixed,stick burners are for folks that can stay awake all nite trying to it done lol ,getting too danged old to play all nite long

Sounds like a good deal to me,also it sounds like a local dealer so beats email ect trying to get problems fixed,stick burners are for folks that can stay awake all nite trying to it done lol ,getting too danged old to play all nite long
Totally misinformed Mike. No difference in smoke times between a good stick burner and one of those convection oven pellet deals that you set the temperature and walk away from with no effort.

Buy a stick burner! LOL!!
I currently own a stick burner actually. I’ve had it several years. There is no doubt the smoke flavor can’t be beat, and when everything works I love it. But after years of fighting with it half the time, and not doing my favorite meat (brisket) near as often I want cause the long cook is so tiring with how much baby sitting there is, and lastly this thanksgiving dinner that had one less side dish and a dry turkey do to a flare up I’m ready to give up and go pellet. Please let’s not turn this into a pellet or offset discussion. I just need a yes or no on this deal and maybe a supporting reason for your answer.

I'm not misinformed 1 bit,never said any thing about time differences,I have 1 of most every smoker and have enjoyed all of them.It takes time to cook some meals and some times it involves overnite cooking ,

I bought my Davy Crockett grill on a black friday sale, $150 discount. All the other grills were $150-200 discounted. IF the one your looking at has the stainless lid too, then that might not be to bad of a price. Try to get them to throw in 4-5 bags of pellets too.

Just found this on Craigslist from a local GMG dealer:
Grill Packages:
$299! Davy Crockett Portable with WiFi - includes 1 Bag of Pellets, 2 Spice Rubs
$524! Daniel Boone with WiFi- includes 1 Bag of Pellets, 2 Spice Rubs, and a Grill Cover
$449! Daniel Boone Non Wifi- includes 1 Bag of Pellets, 2 Spice Rubs, and a Grill Cover
$649! Jim Bowie with WiFi- includes 1 Bag of Pellets, 2 Spice Rubs, and a Grill Cover
$599! Jim Bowie Non Wifi- includes 1 Bag of Pellets, 2 Spice Rubs, and a Grill Cover

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky