Should I buy this locally made smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks y’all. Exactly my thoughts as well. I really was torn between stick and pellet but will look to getting this one. Already contacted seller and will advise. Yes, the Hog on top was like a cherry on a sundae ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Going to look at in soon. In terms of it possibly not being a good smoker, what should I look for? I don’t need another grill

Heck - worst case scenario is you buy it - don't like it - and sell it for $500 on FB marketplace when and if the Hogs ever start winning at football again...although they started to look better this past season.

Signed - Mizzou fan (who has a son that went to Arkansas and stayed there. Very nice area!)

Reactions: JLeonard
Can’t say you’re wrong. Is there anything glaring I might look for to make it a ‘bad’ smoker? Not sure $100 is worth the headache and that I’d prefer to miss altogether.

From the pictures I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good little smoker. Looks in excellent condition

My biggest concerns would be air leaks that would hamper fire control... Look at all door closures to make sure there are no gaps/air leaks .. mainly firebox door ...

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looked at it and can’t imagine a better smoker. It’s built like a brick....well, you know. Heck, the grilling surface plate itself must weigh 40lbs. Everything is tight, solid welds, etc. I paid them a little to deliver so once I get it, will post some pics. There are two questions I’ll have (nothing concerning) about it but pics will help explain. Was planning on a pellet smoker for ease of use but gonna go all-in now!

Once I clean the inside part of the lid, should I paint it and if so, with what? Also, how is the rack used? It’s swivels with the lid....I’m assuming just about anything I don’t want getting direct flame should I use it as a grill. When used as a smoker, a rack of ribs I guess?
Ive. He led it over and seams are tight on the firebox, lid, etc. It is bloody heavy, had a hard time getting it to backyard and I lift pretty heavy in the gym! Side shelf comes off revealing handles and also a lever to lower/raise the charcoal rack, slide out ash tray underneath as well. Not sure what they’re called but round ports to control airflow in several places.
Anyway, really stoked to get it cleaned up and active this weekend!

Attachments

• 6056D8C8-CE33-4665-A668-605AF91D1D09.jpeg
    6056D8C8-CE33-4665-A668-605AF91D1D09.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 26
Is a H.O. Trerice thermometer any good? I’m sure I’ll still use digital probes but am curious.

Don't paint it. Hit it with some fat and build a fire in the firebox and let it season for a few hours. Never heard of those therms. Use Tel Tru's in mine
20200222_175749.jpg

Thanks. While I may not need it, I bought a replacement thermometer like yours. Besides, Aaron Franklin digs them! Does anyone know what that rack in the lid is for? Just another place for indirect heat/smoking I’m assuming?

Reactions: TNJAKE
Top rack is to put the ABT's on that you wanna make... LOL... And if you were to compare temps (probe on each grate) between the two... the top one will be a few degrees hotter .. I would think

Just stick with SMF and we'll get ya going in no time ...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky