Should I bite the bullet for a PID?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishcatchr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2018
Had a Smoke Hollow 30” propane smoker for the past few months and got tired of jacking with it. Snagged a MES40 gen1 on a sale and think I’m really going to like it. Currently using a A-maze-n tube for smoke, so it got that covered.

After reading all about everyone’s experiences with a PID, it got me intrigued. As I sit here and watch my temps, they are all over the place, so I’m seeing what y’all mean.

So my question here today is, Should I just spring for the PID and be done with it? Or should I be patient and see how this MES40 performs? Especially since I’ve only had it since Monday.

This site has been a world of help as I start down my journey of smoking.

Gen 1 will probably treat you right. I have Gen 2 (hopeless on its own), I just hooked up PID that I received today and did an (empty) trial run. Kept me within 3 degrees either way. Think I'll enjoy this a lot more than the troubles i have encountered.

When your Mes is set to 275 see what actual temp with a calibrated digital therm you get second from the top rack. I only got to 260 max with not much in it so I went with the PID. I just keep it under 300 now. The older gen 1 40 has the mes sensor on the back wall at the second from the bottom rack and the newer gen 1 40 hybrid is up at the second from the top rack so that may have gotten temps to 275 now compared to my gen 1 40s. I use a larger Turkey disp alum pan on the bottom rack with a 15x11 disp alum baking sheet I can butt against back wall left or right to even out temps since gen 1 element and top vent are in the right rear corner. I think the oval water pans don't have enough area to move heat evenly.
20181114_103358.jpg
20181114_103655.jpg

Just got done running the smoker for a couple hours to watch temps. Set it as 240 and it seemed like the temp on the MES swung way above and below that while I had probes on the second to top rack and they seemed to differ quite a bit from the MES temps.

Looks like my temp probe is just below the second rack.

Here’s how I’m cutrently setup. Got an 1/4” piece of aluminum resting across the top of the chip loader, stock water pan (empty) and an aluminum pan on the left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
You don't say exactly how much the temps swing. 15-20 degress above and below are common, with 15 being more preferred. (your kitchen oven does this too)The avg is what cooks your meat. The frequency of the swings can be lessened by filling your water pan with sand.
As long as it will reach temp and maintain a PID is not needed. now there are some recipes that will require hourly adjustments to bump temp up 10 degrees. For this you might want a ramping PID so you can set it and forget it. If that is the case, you might as well have it run the MES full time and save the original controls for just incase.

You don't say exactly how much the temps swing. 15-20 degress above and below are common, with 15 being more preferred. (your kitchen oven does this too)The avg is what cooks your meat. The frequency of the swings can be lessened by filling your water pan with sand.
As long as it will reach temp and maintain a PID is not needed. now there are some recipes that will require hourly adjustments to bump temp up 10 degrees. For this you might want a ramping PID so you can set it and forget it. If that is the case, you might as well have it run the MES full time and save the original controls for just incase.

Thanks this helps a lot. I should have better noted the temps, but didn't. If I recall, the swings were in that 15deg ballpark. On sunday, I will be smoking some meat and plan to make better note. For now I will hold off on the PID since I don't plan to get super serious with recipes that require temp changes.

If you are using the MES chip loader, then the PID is a very bad idea. The temperature swings in the MES are by design. The heating element has to stay on for a long-enough time to get really hot in order to ignite the wood chips. If instead it cycles on and off every few seconds, or runs at less than full power (both things that a good PID will do), then the heating element won't get hot enough to get the chips going. You'll have wonderfully constant temperatures, but very little smoke.

You say your are getting your smoke from an Amaz'n tube, and if that's the case, and you never plan on using the chip loader (I never use my anymore), then the PID should be a great thing. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.

If you are using the MES chip loader, then the PID is a very bad idea. The temperature swings in the MES are by design. The heating element has to stay on for a long-enough time to get really hot in order to ignite the wood chips. If instead it cycles on and off every few seconds, or runs at less than full power (both things that a good PID will do), then the heating element won't get hot enough to get the chips going. You'll have wonderfully constant temperatures, but very little smoke.

You say your are getting your smoke from an Amaz'n tube, and if that's the case, and you never plan on using the chip loader (I never use my anymore), then the PID should be a great thing. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.

Sounds great! Thanks sir. I have the Amaz’n tube and have been considering the 5x8 tray. From the start, I never even planned on using the chip loader in the MES. The tube and tray concept is excellent. I love how easy it is and how many varieties or chips there are.

Just got the notice that the PID will arrive Tuesday! Will post back with the results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky