Short smoking isn’t wrong.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Lots of questions about “how long to smoke, fill in the blank”.
Sometimes I like to be in control of time, and smoke. This is possible by building just enough flavor on the pit, then finishing in the oven wrapped in a foil pan. Guys, there is no shame in this, and certainly not a reason to not enjoy good BBQ. We all love 16 hour low/slow brisket, but you know what? Hot and fast makes great bbq too. Then there is another way where we start low/slow in the pit for about 5 hrs. We get that good Smokey goodness on the meat then hot/wrap and fast it to the finish. This is so we can enjoy our time with family, friends and guests. I love the purest pitmaster, and the meat he produces, but I don’t always want to have to be that guy. So here is what I have done this far today, and I didn’t have to start last night at 8pm, or get up at 2am to get this done. Rather I got up at 5:30 am as usual, cup of coffee read the news, went out started the pit, and had meat on by 8:00. We will eat at 7:00 as usual, so use this time line as a guide, 11ish hours, and this gives ample time for screw ups.

Brisket point, and a pork butt. Rubbed up in Jeff’s rubs, and put into a mesquite smoke sauna. At 6 hours this is what I had.
E08E69A7-53BE-4F7D-BAB3-D37CE360EE99.jpeg

So, I mopped them with my bbq juice, and let them ride another hour.
510F4E47-E0F7-4E84-9BB0-228C5B23BBD6.jpeg

3FE0008B-BCBD-43E5-A666-B783F3A0C1BC.jpeg

I will finish them in pans with onion and poblano peppers wrapped in foil and in the oven. This onion and Chile will be fine chopped and incorporated with my tater salad.
82BD3A45-4149-455A-A680-6E1D083375CC.jpeg

This is a Spanish inspired potato salad but I went off the rails with malt vinegar and homemade mustard, so there you go. I’ll kick it up with the onion and Chile later and let you know.
I will update this as the day goes on. With beans made from my bbq juice and a final finish. Bbq on, and most of all,,,,, enjoy your weekend.

Looking good, There's nothing wrong with finishing in the oven,
I like lots of smoke on everything I cook, but I always end by wrapping butts and brisket. Once they're wrapped, they don't get anymore smoke, so there's no difference from that point on between the smoker and the oven.
As for hot and fast: that doesn't work for me when it comes to pork since my pork rub has a fair bit of brown sugar in it. Smoking it hot and fast just burns my bark and that I really don't like. So I tend to cook low and slow all the time. That's no problem with my MES--the only tending that's necessary is to glance over once in a while and check that the TBS is still coming out the stack.
Gary

Looking good, There's nothing wrong with finishing in the oven,
I like lots of smoke on everything I cook, but I always end by wrapping butts and brisket. Once they're wrapped, they don't get anymore smoke, so there's no difference from that point on between the smoker and the oven.
As for hot and fast: that doesn't work for me when it comes to pork since my pork rub has a fair bit of brown sugar in it. Smoking it hot and fast just burns my bark and that I really don't like. So I tend to cook low and slow all the time. That's no problem with my MES--the only tending that's necessary is to glance over once in a while and check that the TBS is still coming out the stack.
Gary
I totally agree Gary.

Looks to me like you've got a darned fine cook going on, Like! I don't do brisket anymore, there's just the two of us, and my wife doesn't eat beef cuts, my longest smokes are butts. I've never wrapped or early pulled butts or ribs, I love the smoky bark, tho I see absolutely no shame in pulling and going to the oven. The only time I tried wrapping a rack of spares they came out FOTB, which I've always regarded as a failed cook, for me anyway. I've also found doing a couple of 6-7 pounds butts on my offset instead of a 11-12 pounder makes life a lot easier. RAY

Looks to me like you've got a darned fine cook going on, Like! I don't do brisket anymore, there's just the two of us, and my wife doesn't eat beef cuts, my longest smokes are butts. I've never wrapped or early pulled butts or ribs, I love the smoky bark, tho I see absolutely no shame in pulling and going to the oven. The only time I tried wrapping a rack of spares they came out FOTB, which I've always regarded as a failed cook, for me anyway. I've also found doing a couple of 6-7 pounds butts on my offset instead of a 11-12 pounder makes life a lot easier. RAY
Lots of wisdom, and truth there, Ray.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Lots of wisdom, and truth there, Ray.

Thanks Edge! Rather than doing packers these days I prefer brisket on a stick, beef short ribs. Also considering unloading my SQ36 offset in favor of a 26" Weber, the chain method sounds very appealing lately, I'm no kid anymore. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks Edge! Rather than doing packers these days I prefer brisket on a stick, beef short ribs. Also considering unloading my SQ36 offset in favor of a 26" Weber, the chain method sounds very appealing lately, I'm no kid anymore. RAY
Absolutely Ray, that’s just good sense. Oh those short ribs! Magic.
I think I bought my last packer today For a while. 4.48 per # is enough for me. Double where my life says it should be. Outside the box thinking for a while.

Reactions: sawhorseray
851032F0-FC89-46BB-BA05-D180EE47EDDC.jpeg

This is the sub standard brisket

6169A54D-5CE8-44AD-A6CA-26713C236F6D.jpeg

The substandard pork

AC34C0C0-B914-4AB1-93FC-CF071EF8B672.jpeg

This is the substandard add to the potato salad. No broth, and cooked vegetables finely chopped. Keep watching.

Speaking of slow, but not too slow, burgers from the smoker are pretty good! May take an hour from start to finish, but if you've never done it, it's great for a change.

Reactions: OldSmoke
Looks great.

Never had an issue with finishing in the oven either.

Next weekend i plan on getting some smoke on my dried beef then bringing up to temperature in my oven.

Reactions: chopsaw
D68F7606-58B0-4615-B485-A9369F0218DE.jpeg

Brisket with 6 hours in smoke.

DD9767AC-DAA4-4BFD-A66C-A3452889DEF6.jpeg

Pulled pork, same 6 hours in smoke.

75DDA5FA-61A8-40A9-AB29-FEED875D9E1D.jpeg

The plate shot. Looks rough, but as soon as I rang the dinner bell things got a little western. Lol

The meat was all cooked at 250* on mesquite for 6 hours. Then wrapped in foil pans and into a 300* oven for about 2 1/2 hours until probe tender. Was very delicious.
As a side note, I added fresh blackberry to my bbq juice and simmered for about 1 hour. This added a very light fruit taste and a subtle tartness that went well as the finishing sauce.

Reactions: chopsaw
I’m new to all this and started smoking @225, then @250, now 275 275

Big cuts 275 275 always work out fine, I run it lower for ribs

like the o.p. says, you can start it in the morning and it’s rested by dinnertime

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks fine to me . I finish all my briskets in the oven . That's the plan going in . Comes out fantastic . The last one I did , went from kettle to oven no wrap until I pulled it out to rest on the counter . Best one yet . I let the IT start to fall before I wrap .
Nice work on everything .

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky