Shopping for a slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
I am looking into purchasing a 10" slicer. I am interested in what everyone suggests. I have been watching Craigslist for a used Hobart, but have not had much luck so far. I have looked at Beswood and Lem's big bite slicers. What is everyone 's recommendation?

I've had a 11''er from Cabelas for over a decade with no complaints, wait to find a nice Hobart! RAY

If your anywhere near me in Florida I have a 12” Torrey S/S commercial slicer that has been used maybe 10 times. I would take $400 if you can come & pick it up. It is just too heavy for us to get it up on the counter. I’m getting old!
Al

I would get the largest slicer you can afford (obviously) my reasoning was for bacon. A small slicer will have trouble slicing a large belly. I don't like cutting down bellies to fit the slicer. If you never plan to make bacon then no big issue, but a 10" may be a bit small. The tables usually don't slide back far enough.

Corey

Reactions: MJB05615
Keep on with the Craigslist and Facebook Market place search. You will get the most bang for your dollar buying a used commercial slicer.
I searched for over a year before one showed up in my area at a reasonable price.

If your anywhere near me in Florida I have a 12” Torrey S/S commercial slicer that has been used maybe 10 times. I would take $400 if you can come & pick it up. It is just too heavy for us to get it up on the counter. I’m getting old!
Al
Ah, the pleasures of getting older! Good ideas get heavy as we age, then fall into disuse. The Chefs Choice 665 I have is as large as I will ever go. Does all I need it todo and does it well. I too looked at getting a commercial model in the 10 to 12 inch range. Then I looked at the weight and overall size and what I use a slicer for. Major no-go.

I am looking into purchasing a 10" slicer. I am interested in what everyone suggests. I have been watching Craigslist for a used Hobart, but have not had much luck so far. I have looked at Beswood and Lem's big bite slicers. What is everyone 's recommendation?
Just so you know what is out there, here is a link. Lots of brands to choose from:

I would get the largest slicer you can afford (obviously) my reasoning was for bacon. A small slicer will have trouble slicing a large belly. I don't like cutting down bellies to fit the slicer. If you never plan to make bacon then no big issue, but a 10" may be a bit small. The tables usually don't slide back far enough.

Corey
Good point, we just butchered a pig, and the two bellies are in the freezer, going to try bacon for the first time

Al
About how heavy is it? Just wondering if there is a way to ship it.....

It weighs around 70 lbs. I paid a small fortune to have it shipped to me when I bought it. I’m guessing at least a couple of hundred dollars for shipping. I would also have to have them package it & buy insurance. Even if you live in Ohio it would be cheaper to drive down & pick it up.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky