Shoo Fly Cake (Bear’s new Favorite Cake)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
NOTE TO ALL !!!
I made a big mistake when I copied Mrs Bear's Recipe.
I didn't see the little "2" in her "2/3" Cups, so I wrote "3 Cups", when it really should be 2/3 Cup.
I'll Change it in the original post too.

Sorry about that guys!!!

My Thanks to "Smokeymose" for asking me to check my list above.

Bear

Reactions: SmokyMose
Sounds too simple to be good, Bear. But I agree it looks mighty appealing and you've never let me down so I'm giving it a go this weekend! Might add a pinch of salt?

Thanks!!!

Thank You bill1 bill1 !!
Be sure to change the amount of Shortening from 3 Cups to 2/3 Cup.
I translated that way off !! You need 2/3 Cup of Shortening.

Bear

Reactions: bill1
I've heard of shoo fly pie, but never seen or eaten it. But this cake does sound good, so I'll be trying it.
Thanks for the recipe, John.
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Let me know how you like it!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I’ve never heard of Shoo Fly Pie either, but this is bookmarked to try this month. Thank you for sharing!

Thank You JW !!
Let me know how you like it !
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Well Bear I must tell you and Mrs. Bear, we love the cake. Thank god I noticed your post just before I started it today, ha ha
So here is the process that you explained perfect. It came out great
David

DSC_3604.JPG DSC_3605.JPG

DSC_3606.JPG DSC_3607.JPG
DSC_3608.JPG

DSC_3609.JPG

Again Bear , thank you for the recipe. It is a winner, Everyone should try this at least once. So does this taste the same as Shoofly Pie ???

Very Good

David

Well Bear I must tell you and Mrs. Bear, we love the cake. Thank god I noticed your post just before I started it today, ha ha
So here is the process that you explained perfect. It came out great
David

View attachment 518026 View attachment 518027

View attachment 518028 View attachment 518029
View attachment 518030

View attachment 518031

Again Bear , thank you for the recipe. It is a winner, Everyone should try this at least once. So does this taste the same as Shoofly Pie ???

Very Good

David

Thank You David!!
Yes, this tastes exactly like Shoo Fly Pie, but without the Crust or the wet bottom.
The moistness of the bottom half makes up for not having the "Wet Bottom Layer".
I never cared much for the crust, anyway.

Bear

Reactions: DRKsmoking
We made it last night. It was very good. Neither of us has ever had Shoo Fly Pie, so we didn't know what to expect, lol. It was very good. I was surprised how strong the Molasses flavor was. I use Molasses in some BBQ sauce recipes, a lot of Molasses, and it's not very noticeable. Here's 2 pictures. Thanks again John and thank your Mrs. for the recipe. Very easy to make and even easier to enjoy.
IMG_3016.jpg IMG_3017.jpg

Looks fantastic for sure. I have to believe it tastes phenomenal. Thanks for sharing it!
That looks delicious John. Simple enough even I should be able to try it. Gotta check how much it's gonna cost my diet. If not too much, gonna try it this weekend. Thank you and the Mrs. for sharing this.

Looks fantastic for sure. I have to believe it tastes phenomenal. Thanks for sharing it!

Thank You Jeff !!
You gotta try it !!

Bear

That looks delicious John. Simple enough even I should be able to try it. Gotta check how much it's gonna cost my diet. If not too much, gonna try it this weekend. Thank you and the Mrs. for sharing this.

Thank You Mike!!
It is even easy enough for me!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Wow, Amazing. I Love cakes.

Thank You!!

Bear

Sounds too simple to be good, Bear. But I agree it looks mighty appealing and you've never let me down so I'm giving it a go this weekend! Might add a pinch of salt?

Thanks!!!

Thank You Bill !! Try it, You'll love it.
IMHO, it doesn't need salt, but I quit using it on everything.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: 1MoreFord
We made it last night. It was very good. Neither of us has ever had Shoo Fly Pie, so we didn't know what to expect, lol. It was very good. I was surprised how strong the Molasses flavor was. I use Molasses in some BBQ sauce recipes, a lot of Molasses, and it's not very noticeable. Here's 2 pictures. Thanks again John and thank your Mrs. for the recipe. Very easy to make and even easier to enjoy.
View attachment 518174View attachment 518172

Thank You Mike!!
I knew you'd like it !!
It's hard to believe how close the taste is to Regular "Shoo Fly Pie".
We'll be making it more often now that we know how good it is.

Bear

It's funny but I always thought it was a Southern dish, from the name, I guess.
Live and learn!

LOL---This is definitely in every PA Dutch cookbook ever made, along with "Hot Bacon Dressing", "Applesauce", "Scrapple", etc, etc....
Southern???---Yup, very popular in Southern Macungie.

Bear

I decided to try your shoofly cake, John. I was short a couple of ingredients, so I subbed butter for the shortening and only had 1 3/4 cups of brown sugar and added 1/4 cup of white sugar. I also reserved 1 1/2 cups of the dry mix for the topping since I was using a larger pan. It came out beautiful, and moist.

20211217_164635.jpg

20211217_172606.jpg

The taste was very good, but as a dessert, both Miss Linda and I felt it just wasn't sweet enough--couple of sweet tooth people here. :emoji_wink::emoji_wink:

Miss Linda started researching shoofly cake and discovered that it was originally served as a breakfast cake. Now that made sense to me--it would make a real hearty meal to start the work day.

Sooooooo, the next morning i had some for breakfast. I nuked the cake for 30 secs to warm it up, sliced it like Texas toast, and then tried it with 4 different toppings: butter, smoked honey butter, honey, and corn syrup. The butter was a "why bother", the honey over powered the cake flavor, the corn syrup was quite good, but the smoked honey butter was fantastic. The added sweetness of the honey, combined with the smokey goodness of the butter on the shoofly cake was a match made in heaven. So good, in fact, that I had a second piece. Roxy, on the other hand, loved hers with no topping.

I'll be having a goodly sized piece for breakfast as long as the cake lasts. You might think about trying it this way. It won't be the last time I bake this cake.

Thanks for posting your Miss Linda's recipe, John. It's a keeper.

Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky