sfprankster's WSM (mis)adventures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I get about 18 hrs on a full ring at 225, sometimes a butt needs more.  I need handles.

Thanks,

Mike
You are welcome Mike. 
icon14.gif

The Maverick therm I ordered late last week arrived today.

Took a bit to figure out how to pair the transmitter/receiver to work together...

..guess that's why they include instructions inside the box... 
33.gif

Let a few chunks of pork butt take a relaxing bath in a char siu marinade overnight...

...and the smoking has officially begun. 
grilling_smilie.gif

Check out my char siu recipe >>HERE<<  

Round 3 of my WSM adventure has begun... 
icon14.gif

A group of chicken thighs are bathing in a citrus ginger marinade overnight... 

Another group of thighs given an application of rub...

Then onto the WSM for a place in chicken nirvana... 
77.gif

The pastrami adventure begins...

...brought this baby home and it's 20+ day brine adventure begins on Tuesday... 

Last edited:
WSM experience 3 has come to a conclusion. Chicken thighs two ways. The first, chicken thighs marinated overnight in my citrus ginger marinade. The second, chicken thighs with a rub I quickly tossed together from the contents of my spice drawer. 

For a view, click >>HERE<<

Round 4 of my WSM experience was my first attempt at beef brisket, the holy grail of smoked meat...  
77.gif

Brought this baby home last week with the intention of making pastrami out the entire 9.5 lb brisket... 
icon_eek.gif

Once realization set in as to how much pastrami a 9.5 lb brisket would make, I split the brisket into two equal pieces and began the brining process last night at my commercial kitchen. I plan on leaving the brisket in the brine for 20-21 days, before I smoke the pastrami on my WSM.

The other half, I brought home and got to make my first attempt at smoking a brisket on my WSM

Further details of my first brisket smoke can be found >>HERE<<

Round 5 of my WSM experience happened last night... 
yahoo.gif

Now I know to NEVER begin smoking a pastrami(brisket) late in the afternoon... 
icon_mad.gif

After 8 hours and 45 minutes of smoking, the pastrami finally finished at an internal temperature of 203 and passed the tenderness test(random poking with a toothpick) at 1:15 am... 
icon_eek.gif

....and then having to wait another hour for the pastrami to rest before having the first slice was painful... 
32.gif

Today's brunch included my first smoked pastrami, grilled asparagus and smashed potatoes, with a spoonful of the pastrami jus over the top.

Patience is the one virtue I highly recommend for everyone before venturing into the smoker section of your local store. 
thumb1.gif

..of which I showed little. I fully intended to brine my pastrami a full 20 days. After opening the brine bucket on the 7th day, Tuesday night, and having all of the spice aromas in the kitchen all night, the smoking began on Wednesday afternoon... 
icon_mrgreen.gif

You can find more information on my pastrami experience >>HERE<<

Having to work all weekend, round 6 has already begun...

... a couple of racks of baby back pork ribs. 
grilling_smilie.gif

Last edited:
Round 6, pork ribs 4 ways... 
banana_smiley.gif

Had time to experiment today on a couple of racks of pork ribs to find a favorite method.

Cut the racks in half and prepared them in 4 different ways...

1) rubbed only

2) rubbed and prepared in the 3-2-1 method

3) rubbed and sauced only

4) rubbed and sauced in the 3-2-1 method

I found I liked the rubbed and sauced in the 3-2-1 method the best. The moistness and fall off the bone tenderness were the best combination for me. 

All of them were tasty and none will go to waste around here. 
thumb1.gif

Pork ribs served with grilled zucchini, garden salad with homemade blue cheese dressing, garlic bread and a glass of champagne with fresh cherries.

drool.gif

I may have missed a little, but not much... 

Got off to a much earlier start than yesterday... 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
Round 7 of my WSM (mis)adventures begins tomorrow... 
yahoo.gif

Have a nice tri-tip resting in a garlic/soy based marinade overnight. Be ready for  the smoker tomorrow... 
grilling_smilie.gif

The one I am looking forward to, is a maple bourbon bacon, I have planned for smoking on Sunday.

For a fun experiment last night, and to not to let anything go to waste. I placed some pork belly skins on the lower rack of my WSM while smoking my tri-tip.

This is turned out as an easy version of an unfried chicarrone. I smoked the skins for a little over 6 hours, rendering the fat and waiting for the skin to puff and crisp. Once done and cooled, I sprinkled with a little chili powder and a squeeze of lime for a nice, crispy snack.

Round 8 of my WSM (mis)adventure involved oysters, butter, lemon, fresh grated garlic, fresh ground black pepper, chipotle and paprika smoked over applewood for 10-12 minutes... 
cool.gif

These were short lived and gone in minutes...

Up next... 

Maple bourbon pork belly banh mi sammies... 
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky