Setting up a new MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

micker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I've been a propane smoker for a few years now and I had loved my GOSM. But then I got side tracked.  The GOSM developed a leak in one of the lines and I set it aside to repair and shortly after got completely absorbed in starting a business.  Now it's been over a year since I've smoked anything and I need to do something about that.

On Black Friday I picked up an MES at Bass Pro on an amazing deal.  I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but I'd like to set it up and do some smoking next weekend. 

I don' have a covered area to smoke in, so I'll be setting it up on my deck.  My first question is do I need to put anything under it on my wooden deck?  My initial thought was to build up some pavers to lift it off of the wood but also make it easier to open the door and use it in the winter when (if) we get some snow.  Will elevating it cause issues with heat loss?  Does anyone do anything like this?

Second thing is that it will be under the eaves, but pretty well exposed to the elements.  I'm going to pick up a cover for it, but do I need to worry about operating it in rainy weather?  Do I have to worry about covering up the control if it should rain during a smoke?

Finally, am I fine storing this on the back porch under a cover year round? 

Thanks in advance for the input!

After reading other forum members, and the reviews at Amazon, I bought this:

Be sure to read the reviews.  For the MES40, choose the Large one

Last edited:
Does that cover fit the 2012 MES40? From the description on Amazon

Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 17.5 x 39 inches

The 22.5 doesn't seem to be wide enough to get over the door handle and latch. Would definitely have to remove the chip tray as it wouldn't seem that 22.5 would be enough.

The 17.5 doesn't seem to be deep enough to make it over the handle.

I too am looking for a cover for my new 2012 MES

Thanks,

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky