Serious Surf & Turf With A Serious Twist (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So my buddy Zach Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan came to visit yesterday. His wife wanted him out of the house so she could get ready for company coming into town and my wife was out of town for a wedding. We decided to do some serious Surf & Turf. Since neither of our wives particularly like lobster and we both love it, that was gonna be part of dinner. The concept of getting together was to nail down some of the final details of our upcoming Cen Tex Que and Brew event, which can be seen here:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/first-official-centex-que-brew-august-9th-11th.288510/

I's a long read but well worth it!! So....the deal was that Zach would bring the Surf and I'd provide the Turf. I gave him his choice of over a dozen different steaks and/or roasts and he decided he wanted the last one of the 45 day aged bone-in rib eye steaks from a dinner I did a few months ago. The steak was over 2# so that along with the lobster tails and sides would be plenty. I also did an appetizer plate but it got totally forgotten until we were almost ready to put dinner on. Oh well...we were wrapped up in conversation and libations. Now to the "Twist" part of this: My house, my grills, but Zach is cooking!! Something about that just seems basically wrong. It's kinda like riding in the passenger seat of my own truck. Not an easy thing to do :emoji_wink: I took a Prozac (that's almost a pun!!), chilled out, and let him take the reins...and boy did he ever produce!!

I started with some twice baked taters stuffed with cheddar cheese
008.jpg

Zach getting the proteins on a platter to start prepping
010.jpg

I made a basic salad that was dressed with a Balsamic reduction
011.jpg

Top the taters with homemade bacon crumbles
012.jpg

Close up of the tater. These look really good!!
013.jpg

Now to Zach's part: the proteins. Lobster tails smothered in butter, garlic, and lemon juice
014.jpg

Steak with Organic EVOO, salt, and CBP
015.jpg

Everything ready to go outside. Steak, tails, taters, Irish Red Ale for Zach and a margarita on the rocks for me
018.jpg

Close up of Zach's favorite home brew. He's become quite fond of this stuff:emoji_laughing:
017.jpg

Steak onto the Santa Maria. Please remember this is his first time cooking on anything like this. Since it was his first time, I promised to be gentle :emoji_wink:
019.jpg

Steak after the flip. Looking really good so far!!
020.jpg

Zach tending the steak and the grill. Couldn't pass this one up :-)
022.jpg

Everybody in the pool!!
026.jpg

Basting the steak with garlic butter
027.jpg

Everything done and into the house for serving
028.jpg

Money shot!! This is my plate. I didn't bother taking a pic of his. I was just too intent on getting outside to commence devouring this. Maybe he can post one of his plate. I believe he set his up a bit differently
032.jpg

Somehow or another, the meals just keep getting better. This was nothing short of amazing. Steak had a flavor that's beyond belief with the aging, and Zach nailed the prep and cooking. Lobster tails added a fantastic dimension, and the taters were superb with all that melted cheese and homemade bacon. This one goes down in the history books as about the best tasting and flavorful meal I've ever eaten. Every time I think that it can't get any better, something like this comes along and changes my mind :-) At the end of the day, we ate great, shared some good libations, excellent company, and endured the world's longest food coma. This one did both of us in and I'm still about comatose. Another interesting factoid is that Zach showed up with an empty truck and left here depleting my cooker arsenal by one grill. He went home with my old work horse 30" Dynasty that has served me flawlessly for over 20 years. On one hand I hated to see it go but the grill has been sitting in the garage for several years not being used. It needed a good home with somebody with who would appreciate it, treat it with love, and put is to good use. It was my first-ever super high quality grill and a mainstay in my life for years. Congrats on your new acquisition!! Now to my final assessment of the day: I'm not a betting man but I give 3:1 odds that Zach's next cooking acquisition will be something along the lines of a Santa Maria grill. He had an ear-to-ear smile going the whole time he was cooking. Then came the eating part of it and there's just no comparison to the flavor of cooking over an open fire with Mesquite wood.

It's nap time y'all,
Robert
(p.s. since steak was the highlight of this, I opted to put it in the Beef forum)

Last edited:
Oh Man... C'mon y'all, y'all driving me crazy with these Steaks-n-Tails.
It all looks so freaking good, way to tag team it.

Great to see people getting together.
Here's to the 1st Annual CenTex Que Brew being a rip roaring success.

Not much to add here. Ya pretty much covered all the bases! Man what a meal!

zqp4Q1E2RiYlGVsSbVhWYuRFQ_G2u4k-W_G_yN7ECRR7C1qw4uZWPPmYy8z7PPGEagyxX-7AErz2MJS0xrMFLNjWO9eiL18RYPYMosA6UOIxXqXuFMt3qbMhve-ickThv4uXfKTd1tLH72sTIlmSETzKT2usH3pXuZyiSOsGv5zX2EOECZKaX6P5BNcdUuH0P7Za4jGOBr3P0BWYO5jm1GQQ6NmbN5jq9bLvblyMH8boQI1BtBcE0H1tEnVbNaYxtIAOsPnAQm5kAs3CrLrHef_fnIrpGfOIvsZFI21MSRNhv-fzMkrO3_Jl3sFt51TiPPSc3ipVzyYnS0Zgc54dOZplPpvW1w7vFiQN_nE5I6rR6Fw4ZxnZGzQiR-PvwQ6z0M9iyRNWem3e1SekL5fOOjNIccZd-Lh61YjhYsuc29aB3kX_6rAAxvG3DP7KhBFPi2USZjttS4VI4EvwYZ9cUhS0tsjRSdTPDQmfmz47qZvu1e2tTiuGFqfE4YfDYAAPAJB1-brZP_2jx9CpdqODZvKseos1GnulW1f1VRQDYR8ULwPKsJBBPD6VN7-t-YDLEjmav-jXmE4o7ruaoSPucGPHUmdMWe6QqmbEs-thQsLoz7gc36dZyc2wXMTH-erXxWP1H9qTssv1Nro9-LztJN0gr8fii9td=w1073-h1430-no

From the salad... to those spuds! the tails. and that chunk-o-aged beef! That just melted in the mouth. It had enough age and flavor to stand on it's own! just the KISS method is all it needed. and me to not screw it up!

The heat was on! I understand Roberts consternation (for you gmc2003 gmc2003 :emoji_laughing:). I get antsy watching people cook at my place but I'm always lurking. Knowing he was handing me the reigns on his last chunk of 45 day aged steak made me really not wanna mess it up! Temp probes FTW! no need to leave it to chance. couldn't risk it. Plus it was my first time using a santa maria pit. It has always been a rig on my list and this just reaffirmed it.

The slight mesquite kiss on the food paired wonderfully. I will say though, that the drive home was a bit longer and slower :emoji_laughing: That and the wife wanted me to stop at Krispy Kreme... ya know, for the company visiting today. a few doughnuts didn't survive the night :emoji_wink:

If y'all are on the fence of swinging by for the CenTeX Gathering... this should knock ya right on over! Got lots of great people and food lined up. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the invite and grill duty Robert!

Off for another recovery nap :emoji_sleepy::emoji_sleeping:

OMG!!!
This looks even better than I would expect when two Hungry Guys get together in Texas with Beef, Smoke, and Fire!!
I'm jealous!!
Meals just don't get any better!
And another Awesome Thread!
Thanks Robert & Zach!!
Like X 2.

Bear

Let me start with: POINTS for sure to both of you.

Meritorious cook( Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan I got me a roll or two of that fancy high falutin toilet paper yesterday):emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:. You guys are raising the bar awfully high on this site. I may have to go find a smoking for dummies forum to participate on. Again excellent job kudos to both of you.

Chris

Wow, does that look like an awesome meal! Always wanted to test drive a santa maria grill!

Like!

"My gosh. That looks amazing!"

Thank you Steve!! Appreciate the sentiments. It tasted better than it looked :-)

Robert

"Oh Man... C'mon y'all, y'all driving me crazy with these Steaks-n-Tails.
It all looks so freaking good, way to tag team it.
Like"

Thank you Chile!! No doubt sir, you have been quite an inspiration. Sorry to be driving you crazy but I'm just doing as you asked :-) All I can say is be careful what you wish for :emoji_wink:

Great to see people getting together.
Here's to the 1st Annual CenTex Que Brew being a rip roaring success.

Thank you again for the well wishes. We'd be proud if you could join us (hint hint). No doubt it'll be a good time and we're really looking forward to it.

Counting the days,
Robert

"Not much to add here. Ya pretty much covered all the bases! Man what a meal!"

Great follow up Zach and thanks for posting a pic of your plate. Mine looks good but yours looks great!!

"Oh Man that looks good. You two rocked that"

As good as it may have looked, it tasted even better!! Kudos to Zach. He nailed the cooking part of it.

Still tasting that amazing steak,
Robert

"OMG!!!
This looks even better than I would expect when two Hungry Guys get together in Texas with Beef, Smoke, and Fire!!
I'm jealous!!
Meals just don't get any better!
And another Awesome Thread!
Thanks Robert & Zach!!
Like X 2."

Wow Bear....can't tell you how much I / we appreciate the commentary. That's about as high a compliment as one could ever hope to get. Yep.....it doesn't get any better than good meat, wood, fire, libations, and great company. Was a good time, that's for sure :-)

Robert

"I got me a roll or two of that fancy high falutin toilet paper yesterday):emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:.

Well Chris, that's a good start. now if we can just get you folks in the Northeast to get on board with indoor plumbing, you may be getting somewhere :emoji_laughing:"

"You guys are raising the bar awfully high on this site."

There has been a lot of inspiration from a lot of people. There seems to be an environment here that makes you want to create the next meal better than the last one. It's hard not to get caught up in that kind of inspiration and enthusiasm.

Robert

"Always wanted to test drive a santa maria grill!"

Well come on down!! We have a pretty nice event in the works for next month. I'll make sure you get all the time you want on the Santa Maris if you're able to make the trip.

Rolling out the welcome mat,
Robert

Reactions: xray
chilerelleno chilerelleno - Glad we could stir the pot a bit :emoji_wink:. We have high hopes for the gathering and think it's gonna be a good one.

T ToppDogg - Thanks! Robert set me up for success in all honesty. All I had to do was not overcook it! :emoji_sweat_smile:

Bearcarver Bearcarver - Echoing Robert here, but thank you for the words! Means a lot. Was hard pressed to remember a better meal for sure!

gmc2003 gmc2003 - :emoji_grin: That TP is good stuff haha. Thanks for the words.

xray xray - They are pretty awesome from my one time using it. it's "on the list" now!

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky