Seeking advice on new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nwin23

Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
I’ve had an MES and now use a WSM 18.5” with a FireBoard and put viper fan.

I don’t like the cleanup and setup time associated with the WSM, but I love that it’s set and forget with the FireBoard.

I also have a Weber propane grill, but I’m looking towards something that can do it all.

I don’t do pork at all (allergic, it’s a shame I know!) so the only long cook would be an occasionally brisket once a year. I’d mainly buy this for chicken, and the ability to get it up to temps high enough to crisp the skin would be great. I also want something with relatively easy cleanup and quick setup/shutdown times. If I could cook my burgers and steaks on it, ultimately replacing my Weber propane, even better!

I’m looking at the recteq bullseye and the master built gravity feed 560…also possibly the grilla chimp, so keeping it under $500 would be great.

bullseye seems to check the boxes but I don’t think it has wifi. However if I use my FireBoard then I don’t need wifi on the grill. The grease problems scare me off a bit but Riot mode seems to take care of that-not sure how it would do on the longer cooks though. I also do wings with a marinade on them that can get sticky so I dunno how it would handle that.

the master built seems great, but I dunno how long it takes everything to cool down or the cleanup associate with it.

the grilla seems like a pellet grill, so I dunno if it would get hot enough and I’d probably keep the Weber for most hot cooks.

Answering your questions on the MB560.
for me I've never had a smoker that was as easy to clean up. You will know what to foil to make cleanup a breeze.
As for cool down. Some owners have learned to judge how much charcoal they are going to need and let it burn off. This method barely takes longer than gas grill to cool down. I generally have a full hopper so once my cook is done it will take anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours before I can cover. No big deal for me because after cooking and eating I am generally enjoying an adult beverage or two.

Reactions: 912smoker
Not looking at the 26-reason is I want something easy to fire up with no prep-literally hitting a switch. Hence the reason for pellet grills and gravity fed recommendations. I have a chimney starter for my WSM and sure it’s easy but it’s a few more steps than I want for a weeknight cook.

I don't think a pellet grill would be a good choice for you. It fires up and cools off easily but for the cooking you are doing I think the gravity feed charcoal would be a good choice for you.

Reactions: PPG1
As a Masterbuilt Gravity owner I’m going to agree with Chris who recommended a kettle to you.

The MBG 560 ticks all the boxes you’re looking for except cleanup, but frankly it’s overkill if you’re going to be mostly grilling and only smoking once or twice a year. It’s less to do during the smoke than my old WSM and less setup, but more cleanup.

For what you are looking for I think the kettle with vortex or slow and sear is a better option. You can’t go wrong with that, and it’ll last forever.

As a Masterbuilt Gravity owner I’m going to agree with Chris who recommended a kettle to you.

The MBG 560 ticks all the boxes you’re looking for except cleanup, but frankly it’s overkill if you’re going to be mostly grilling and only smoking once or twice a year. It’s less to do during the smoke than my old WSM and less setup, but more cleanup.

For what you are looking for I think the kettle with vortex or slow and sear is a better option. You can’t go wrong with that, and it’ll last forever.
I'll agree with both this and Chris. I have a 26" with both the vortex and the SNS. I also have a WSM, pellet and a MES. While they all have an area they excel in the ease of use and simplicity of the 26" for both smoking and grilling can't be beat. I'll use the kettle 10x before I use the other ones once. And if you're wanting crispy chicken skin along with smoke flavor you're gonna need need a Amazen Tube with the pellet. Hitting 300° for a pellet leaves little smoke flavor. Especially if you're used to your WSM

For your use the Weber 26” is the best in my mind. I know you wanted push button startup, like a pellet would offer, but they come at a price. The 26” Is the easiest to clean and maintain, and will outlast anything on your list. Yes firing up the pellet might be a little easier, but the 26” will clean up quicker and easier. It’s also the most flexible out of any of these. You might even be able to get by with a 22” if your briskets are smaller.

As mentioned a vortex and or smoke n sear will make a versatile grill even more versatile.

and with your chimney and something like a Weber fire cube or tumble weed to start, it’s simple to fire up and go. A few extra steps, but then you make up for it in easier cleaning, build quality and longevity.

One other kettle option is to look at Slow n Sears deluxe kettle. It only comes in a 22” size (please SNS, release a 26” version), but comes with several nice options l8ke stainless grates, SnS basket, 1” port hole for a fan like a pit viper, probe ports and a side shelf.

You guys have me sold on another kettle. I guess my main concern is on every day weeknight cooks where I just want to seat a sous vide steak or cook some quick chicken thighs. Propane is so easy to just turn on and wait ten minutes before cooking.

I love wings but the slow n sear ticks a LOT of boxes for me. Is there a vortex available for the SnS or is that not needed?

what about the 22” Weber performer? Seems like itd check some boxes as well as being easy to light.

Last edited:
Vortex will definitely work on the SNS. The SNS basket and vortex does have some overlapping functions but are different enough to justify having both. The vortex is great cooking chicken parts.

Regarding the gasser. Nothing is as convenient as it. You turn the gas on and lite, wait a bit and cook. Doesn’t even need to be cleaned that regularly like every other fuel source does. I like having a gasser and use it in conjunction with my other cookers quite regularly. It doesn’t give the food as good of a taste as the kettle though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky