Seed Overload!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, so we were fortunate enough to get a huge amount of seeds given to us! I mean huge… So been thinking bout a greenhouse for a while now and with all this seed, it has kinda pushed us over the edge to get serious bout doing one!

Quick pic, this pic isn’t even a fraction of what we were given…

F947C1CC-89E8-43FB-863C-BBCCEB5D0CAC.jpeg

We are very thankful for having received these… will take a couple days to sort thru them all as that is seriously how much there is!

So, if any of you all have an idea for a DIY greenhouse… we are certainly interested in hearing any and all! Thanks in advance…

WOW! I've seen kits on line but not sure how they would hold up to your winters. Look forward to seeing how you go about this. Please by all means keep us updated.

Jim

I will definitely keep ya updated Jim… just pondering greenhouse options.

Reactions: JLeonard
That is the motherload. Dated, not sure if go bad. I usually keep extra seed in freezer and toss if 2 yrs old. Right or wrong, I don't know.

That's what I do. The older the seed, the lower the germination rate. I don't like wasting time waiting for germination. I'd rather just go buy fresh seed. In gardening, time is more valuable than money.

That is the motherload. Dated, not sure if go bad. I usually keep extra seed in freezer and toss if 2 yrs old. Right or wrong, I don't know.

Thanks! Not sure either… we are very new to this… Was thinking of vac sealing them in like bunches… so squash in one, radishes in one, etc. We also have a ton of rosemary and thyme so far! My mind says vac sealing might be the answer… but again… we are new to this and flying by the seat of our britches! 🤣

If you keep the seed dry, cool and in a dark area ie closet, box or something then it won't go bad yes germination rate will go down but if doing enough for a greenhouse type setting just seed extra. We sow seeds into trays that have either 72, 128 or 256 cells if dealing with older seed we either use a bigger tray than we normally would or if small seeds drop two or three into every cell.
As for DIY greenhouses I've seen some using wood, some with PVC hoops, and some with metal hoops. You can buy a hoop bender most I've seen use 1 3/8" chain link top rail and down here say 6-8' spacing where you are I would think more like 3' oc. if you think that might work. You can also buy greenhouse kits and do the install yourself they aren't rocket science.
For heating there are more than one way that works some operate cheaply others not so much. Seen some trying geo-thermal type systems. Black tanks full of water that heats up from the sun during the day then give off heat at night. Then there's propane or natural gas heaters. Have heard of a few trying to burn wood in wood stoves. Or figure a new way

• Love
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
If you keep the seed dry, cool and in a dark area ie closet, box or something then it won't go bad yes germination rate will go down but if doing enough for a greenhouse type setting just seed extra. We sow seeds into trays that have either 72, 128 or 256 cells if dealing with older seed we either use a bigger tray than we normally would or if small seeds drop two or three into every cell.
As for DIY greenhouses I've seen some using wood, some with PVC hoops, and some with metal hoops. You can buy a hoop bender most I've seen use 1 3/8" chain link top rail and down here say 6-8' spacing where you are I would think more like 3' oc. if you think that might work. You can also buy greenhouse kits and do the install yourself they aren't rocket science.
For heating there are more than one way that works some operate cheaply others not so much. Seen some trying geo-thermal type systems. Black tanks full of water that heats up from the sun during the day then give off heat at night. Then there's propane or natural gas heaters. Have heard of a few trying to burn wood in wood stoves. Or figure a new way

Jerry, thank you so much for the info… as stated, we are very new to this!
That's a bunch of seeds! Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Ryan

Thanks bud, right now looking at green house options! Need one that can withstand high winds and snow!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky