Second try at brisket and baby back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

breeze900rr

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Madison Al
Last weekend was my first time firing up my new smoker, hadn't done much research at that point but tried my hands at brisket and baby backs. Used home made rub, spritz/mop and sauce on both. The seasoning and sauces were excellent but the brisket and ribs were both a lil dry. Ran them both uncovered from start to finish, only spritz and mop. Kept smoker around 200°, brisket (3lbs) six hours, ribs four hours. Pretty sure I kept them both on too long. Today gonna try( 3lb brisket) uncovered for 1-mop and wrap for 2, uncover for 1. Rewrap and let wrest.
Ribs I'll do 1-2-1, add spritz and extra liquid before I wrap and spritz again after unwrap.
Any objections or suggestions?

Last edited:
Also, marinated brisket in liquid I'll use to mop which is water, au jus mix, beef bullion granules, and onion powder. Rub is kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, onion powder, sugar, and chipotle powder.

Last edited:
3lbs is a small brisket, I guess you are smoking a flat?  Be careful not to dry that one out, it shouldn't take long to cook.  At 250 degrees HEB recommends 1 hr per lb, so at 200 degrees a little longer.  I'm still experimenting cooking briskets too so maybe one of the experienced hands will chime in.  The marinade and rub sound tasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: breeze900rr
Hey thanx Aggie! I ran it for almost 5 hours this time and ummm,,, it was fairly dry. Flavor and seasoning was great just on the dry side. Thanx so much for the advice I'll take it down to about 3 hours and check temp next time.

It all seems trial and error for me.  If 5 and 6 hrs were too long, 3 to 4 hours may be just right.  Not much fat on those small/flat briskets, I have a hard time not drying them out.  Your uncovered for 1 hr, mopped and wrapped for 2, then uncover for the last hour may be perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky