Second Attempt at Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlloyd99

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 13, 2006
Chillicothe MO
This weekend Ben and I made another attempt at Beef Short Ribs. These definatly turned out better thant our first try. We left them on the smoker much longer. I wrapped in foil along with some italian marinade after the meat had pulled away from the bone and left them braising in the foil for a couple hours. We pulled them and ate them right after the foil stage so this was a 3-3 instead of a 3-2-1. Still not fall off the bone but definatly better.

We also had a couple of BC chickens on that turned out great as well.

Lady J, Keep working at it and one day you'll get there- What internal temp did you cook the short ribs to? The meat on short ribs is a working muscle and can be a bit tough. Cooking them to an internal temp of 180-190 will beak down the connective tissue and seeing as how your using a version of the 3-2-1 method and braising them, they shouldn't dry out.

yo lady j,
i will try a 3/3 mysefl and get back to you.

i have done a 3/2 with internal temp of
they where a little tough---but good.

maybe 3/3 will take them to 180,
like my mentor dutch says to go to.

im learning new stuff all the time.

That may be my problem Dutch, I'm not probing the ribs. There just didn't seem to be a good place to put the probe seeing as they are very fatty and narrow. I just figured I would cook by sight. The other thing I've thought of doing is to render all that fat off them in the oven then put them on the smoker but I don't think we'd get as much of a smoke flavor that way. Well I guess we'll just keep trying and one of these day's we'll get it right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky