Second attempt at barbecued ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am a newbie trying to refine my ribs (my favourite smoked item). This is my second attempt.

I rubbed the ribs with a low salt high paprika rub I liked from my grilling days and let them sit overnight.

I am in the Canadian rockies and it was -6 C, 21 F ( a warm snap for this time of year) when I started the next day.

I put them in my Bradley smoker with apple bisquettes at a temperature of 220 F.

Here are the ribs after 3 hours in the smoker.

I added 1/2 cup of apple juice, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to foil wrapping and threw them in a 230 F oven for 2 hours (I didn't see the need to work in the cold with the smoker for this part).

Then I took them out of the foil and put them back in the oven for an hour, brushing them twice with a homemade Kansas City sauce.

They turned out great but the ribs weren't that meaty. Next time, if the ribs are thinner like this time, I will likely go with 2-2-1 instead of 3-2-1. I am loving my smoker and have appreciated all the advice I have received from this forum.

The ribs look really good!  I love the snow picture!  Send some my way!  Please!!!
biggrin.gif

Nice spare ribs. I've always wanted to try a Bradley smoker, I hear good things about them.

I read that you're a newbie, well, I don't buy that from the looks of the pictures you're posting. But if you insist, about a year and a half ago when I was very active here, I wrote a rib primer after spending some time on the phone with Mike Mills from 17th Street Bar and Grill and Championship BBQ. The things Mr. Mills told me really floored me and changed the way I have smoked my ribs (as well as most of my other meats) from that point forward. I recommend reading it and if you have questions, let me know.

Nice snow picture, we got dumped on with 8 inches of it yesterday.

EDIT:

Rib Primer Link: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/81480/rib-primer/

Last edited:
I love Colorado but I always pictured it having lots of snow.

Trust me, I'm a newbie to smoking. I have been grilling for years and some of the skills are transferable. The main thing that has me kickstared is the information on this form and advice the members have given, like yours! I will look at it and give it a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky