SEASONING 'TIPS'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Some guys just fire it up and others coat the inside walls with PAM.I ran mine at 275° for about an hour, to burn off the residual oil, and then finished it up with smoking some sawdust. Worked for me.Todd

If I remember correctly, I just followed the MES manufacturer's recommendation on both my MES 30 and my MES 40.

I just turned them all the way up to 275˚, for 3 hours, and added wood chips for the last hour.

I didn't spray any oil or anything on anything.

It gets plenty of oil from smoking meat, during your future smokes.

The main thing is to make sure it works properly & burn off that factory oil & chemicals.

Bear

OK, The 'seasoning' went very well, with ONE exception,  I didn't line the water/drip pan with foil.
Oops.gif

One thing I did try is, I mounted a remote thermometer to the outside of the door, drilled a hole in the door, and now I will be able to monitor the progress of the 'Smoke".  For a test I placed a large 'sweet, onion' on the upper rack and 'probed it', when it (the onion) hit 180 the smoker was at 255.  Time 2 1/2 hours. The onion was great!!

I then added more chips, and smoked 9 chicken 1/4's.  Three hours later, chicken temp 210,  smoker 300, a little hot but a good smoke nonetheless.

Next 'nubee' question, any one try apple juice or pineapple juice in the water pan??   
confused.gif

TIA  Larry

I tried all kinds of liquids in the water pan---Apple, Lemon, Pineapple, Beer, etc.

I didn't notice anything different in flavor than plain old water.

It's different if you spritz, but even better to add a concoction to the foiled meat (Brisket--Chuckie--Ribs--Etc)

Another reason I like to foil things.

Bear

I tried all kinds of liquids in the water pan---Apple, Lemon, Pineapple, Beer, etc.

I didn't notice anything different in flavor than plain old water.

It's different if you spritz, but even better to add a concoction to the foiled meat (Brisket--Chuckie--Ribs--Etc)

Another reason I like to foil things.

Bear

Ditto.

I will add trimmings from vegetables and rinse out the rub pan into the water pan. Nice aroma while smoking but I feel the same way Bear does.

Glad it worked out for you...was hoping to see some pics of the chicken and maybe some input on how you thought they were. I also have a MF DD gasser and had to do some mods to keep the smoke and heat in, my doors really leaked, and I built a little 3-sided shelter for it due to wind/rain here. Like Bear & Sqwib I don't believe flavored water does much so have switched to a sand filled water pan for heat control. I have yet to hit 300 with mine, possibly due to weather. At the highest I think it was at 275. Regardless, here's the link to show the mods I did...may help you outhttp://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/104113/master-forge-vertical-gasser-mods  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky