Seasoning the Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low'n'slow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Great White North
Before anyone accuses me of being lazy
smile.gif
, I did search the forums but found a bunch of different opinions about seasoning a smoker before first use. I seem to recall reading a post or thread specifically about seasoning this unit but can't find it now, and Illini alluded to it in another thread, so... does anyone have any advice on how to season the Masterbuilt before first use? I'm hoping to use mine this weekend for the first time.

Low n Slow -

I don't have the masterbuilt but the Smoke Vault I just ordered looks alot like it and according to the manual (you can usually download them Free)

To season your smoker, simply use it as you normally would; only do not cook any food. You will need to follow all of the operating procedures in the next few sections of this manual.

Using your desired flavoring woods and marinades, burn your smoker at low temperature (around 175°F) for 45-60 minutes. Let the smoker cool, and clean out the used water and wood.

Once seasoning is complete, your smoker’s interior will have a durable, seasoned coating.

They must all be about the same. Hope this helps!

season the MES (centro) by putting a foil liner in the water pan this facilitates easy clean up and just a good habit to learn....pour in 1/2" water...run the smoker for 1 hour at 180-200*....then turn it up to 225-240* and add some wood chips (3 or 4 at a time) every 30 minutes for 2 more hours....have the top vent open and learn how many chips it takes to keep some blue smoke coming out....No big white smoke stuff, that will just creosote the inside (bad)

Now you can cook as you wish....just remeber to ease into the amount of chips or small chunks you use....it is easily overdone

Thanks for the info, both of you - I appreciate it!

Illini: It's not necessary to spray the interior with vegetable oil? (I've read suggestions here to do that, with regard to seasoning smokers in general.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky