seasoning a new wood smokehouse??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dalton

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I am finishing up a new smoker built out of mostly 1x6.  electric heat and seperate smoke generation chamber.  should I season it before using?  should I just fire up the smoke and turn up the heat?  I tried a search for seasoning a smoker but all the posts seem to be about smoker made out of metal. 

should I coat the inside walls with anything?  mineral oil? cooking spray?  just smoke? 

all help is appreciated!!

dalton

With my first wood smoker I did just what you said, loaded it with some hickory and turned up the heat. Not really sure if it's necessary but you have to do a test run anyways, so why not have the smoke season the walls.

looks like just turn it up and let the smoke roll!!!

keep the input coming 

thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky