Searching for a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bispidx

Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
Hugo, MN
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum. I have been scouring the previous topics trying to get as much knowledge as i possibly can but i am still a little bit indecisive. I am getting married in August and plan to use a little bit of the gift money for a new smoker. My budget is 300 dollars.

I am pretty set on a propane smoker based on its ability to get to higher temps if needed and due to the fact that i am also an ice fisherman and big hunter so i have plenty of propane tanks readily available.

A few things i am concerned about is size, temperature, and smoke:

Size:. i plan on doing ribs, turkey and pork butts to start so i am looking for something that can handle those  with ease, but i don't need one so big as i would be only providing food for maybe 10-12 people max.

Temperature: i would like to be able to get low temps so i do plan on using a needle valve...is this necessary for most models?

Smoke: i understand that there are ways to get better smoke (cast iron skillet) but are certain models better at generating more smoke without spiking temperature?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i could use all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance!

Have not stopped in for a bit. However, I would suggest a wide body smoker for turkey. That way you can spatch-cock it. And the wide body units will fit a full slab of spare ribs. Or a full packer brisket. The smaller units are great but do require splitting rib racks in half. I have done quite a few packer briskets in my 14" x 14" Masterbuilt Pro. I have simply "humped" them up in the middle and smoked like heck. Also, I have done a whole turkey many times. And it came out great. I just like the splayed out bird. Skin comes out nicer and it smokes up faster.

JB

I've been using the Smoke Vault SMV24 for over eight years.  It's small enough to do just one fatty  and large enough to pile in six large pork butts.  Paired up with an AMAZEN smoker, it will do all the smoked cheese you can handle.  It can be had for $249.00

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky