Sealing a Grill door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I am new to this site and I have seen people seal their grill doors that leak with felt. I am currently using an Oklahoma Joe's and I am considering pulling the trigger on a nicer offset smoker. Can someone help me with 2 things? The first is what type of felt is being used around the edge of the doors and second what is the difference between a traditional offset smoker and a reverse flow smoker.

Thank you,
Dan

Reactions: JLeonard
Hi there and welcome to the site!

So you have an OKJ offset and you're thinking about upgrading.

You might first decide what you're going to buy and then decide on the seal.

I think a lot of us use the Lavalock seal around the cooker door. I did. I got mine from this site:

I sealed the cooker door, but I didn't bother sealing the firebox door.

The traditional offset is like the one you have already. Firebox on one side, chimney on the other.

Although the design does a great job, some would argue the weakness is the heat is too strong on the firebox side.

You can solve that problem somewhat with a baffle plate which initially forces heat and smoke to start out low in the cook chamber and then allows smoke and heat to rise up through spaced holes in the plate. The idea is it keeps the front cooler than it would be, allowing the temps to be closer left to right. The weakness of that design is that, although the temps are better, there is still the problem of weak smoke and draft at the front of the cook chamber and more smoke and draft towards the back.

Another option is you can also use tuning bars which are multiple flat horizontal bars which you can arrange and space the way you want which gives you more versatility in tuning the temps inside the cooker.

The reverse flow uses a plate to guide the smoke through the bottom of the cook chamber, and then allows it to rise up on the far end. The chimney is located on the firebox side, so the smoke and heat is then drawn in the reverse direction, across the cooking grates, and then escapes through the chimney. This way, both temps and smoke are more evenly distributed through the upper portion of the cook chamber where the food is located.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the response I am looking at ordering a bell fabrication offset smoker 3/8 inch steel so may not be an issue. The seal is for the OKJ I am currently using. I found out OKJ sells some at academy sports and so I got some to try.

Reactions: Marknmd
Yes I just went to Academy and the old country wrangler is $600 without tax and the Bell fab is around $800-$900 plus shipping so figure the Bell will hold its value better if I can do that. Got a call into Craig to see what the actual cost is.

this is what it shows on the website Wall thickness is 1/4 (.250), 5/16 (.3125), or 3/8 (.375) inches.

so maybe 3/8 is overkill lol. may do 5/16th

this is what it shows on the website Wall thickness is 1/4 (.250), 5/16 (.3125), or 3/8 (.375) inches.

so maybe 3/8 is overkill lol. may do 5/16th
I'd get a quote both ways. If the 3/8 isn't all that much more, I'd go with that. Figure shipping weight differences into that too.

I have a bell Fab. You won't need to mod it. I'm not sure if you've spoke with Craig yet but I don't think you'll get it for that price shipped. My freight cost was $900 from Oklahoma to Tennessee so I picked it up instead. Not sure what size you are looking at but mines 30x48 and weight is right at 1000lbs
Screenshot_20220716_120437.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Love it. I had tuning plates added and 4 wheels instead of 2. The only thing I would have done different would have been to add the fold down front shelf. The doors are heavy as hell and the shelf gets in the way with reach. And I'm 6ft 1in

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky