Scarbelly Wings, Another Superbowl Wing Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Haven't made these for a while. Today is a tribute to our fallen, but not forgotten brother, Scarbelly.
His original recipe calls for 1/2-1/2 Creole butter and Frank's Hot Sauce, injected into the wings. I substitute the Creole butter with melted butter and a tablespoon of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and then mix with the Frank's. Inject, coat the wings in any extra sauce, then sprinkle more seasoning over them. Into the smoker at 300°. I'm using a couple jerky racks, separated by some 2" wood blocks, and my GMG Daniel Boone today.

20200202_133514.jpg

20200202_133522.jpg

20200202_133838.jpg

I'll post another pic or two when they're done.

Last edited:
Look good. Smart idea of the wood to stack the trays. Are you planning on throwing them on the grill after or will 300* give you crisp skin?

Look good. Smart idea of the wood to stack the trays. Are you planning on throwing them on the grill after or will 300* give you crisp skin?
300° was plenty for crisp skin. In fact, a few pieces around the edges (where the heat comes up around the diffuser) came out a little too crispy. But still a great flavor, and little mess compared to regular hot wings. That's why I like the injection method. Thanks, Scarbelly!
20200202_152944.jpg

20200202_152940.jpg

Reactions: seenred
This recipe is one of my all time favorites...those look terrific! Thanks for posting...and reminding me I need to do a batch of these soon!

Like! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky