Scale for how much to feed a group?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheech

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan
Is there some sort of scale of how much meat to prepare for a group of people?

This weekend I am a group coming over of 12-14 people. How much shoulder do I prepare for them (If I want some extra left over)?

I always figure about a 1/4 to 1/2 lb. per person will do the trick. Of course this is when I'm serving lots of sides as well. If it's just the meat and if your feeding a group that you know can pack it away I suppose a lb. per person would be a safe bet and then you'd probably have lots of leftovers for your self and maybe even some to send home with your friends.

Cheech, figure about 8 ounces of fresh meat per person if using a bone in shoulder. Once the fat and bone is trimmed away, the smoked serving size should be about 6 ounces. What you serve as appetisers and side dishes will also determine how much meat they take. If you serve the food 'buffet' style, place your breads, salads and side dished at the upper half of the table and your meat (perferably with someone to serve it) at the bottom end of the table.

Sorry I am a bit slow when it comes to math.

If I figure this correctly it should be as follows
8oz per person X 14 people at this party = 112 Oz
112 Oz / 16 oz per lbs = 7 lbs of pork shoulder
7lbs of pulled pork= a happy party.

Did I do that right?

I did pulled pork for poker night last year. 8 guys consumed 7 lbs of pulled pork that was served with baked beans, and rolls and slaw, I would think that 7 lbs is a bit on the light side for that many people if you want left overs. Those 8 guys could do some serious eating, but nonethe less I would make more. Left over pulled pork is a beautiful thing.

Cheech
You have to figure for weight loss during the cook, you need to figure 40 to 50% loss. So 12 to 14 pounds of raw product will produce enough pulled pork for a happy party.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky