@sawhorseray made me do it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
So when Ray sawhorseray sawhorseray posted about spinning a leg of lamb uncovered on the kettle, he got me thinking. I am not much of a lamb person but, I knew I was going to spin a turkey for the big day. The thought of open flame and not having to worry about controlling temp on this day peaked my interest. So I grabbed a chicken and tried it out yesterday. Rubbed the bird down with SPOG, smoked paprika and some Weber sweet heat rub (I think ).
1.jpg

Was going to brine first but grabbed the wrong bag before we left for PA...oh well. So set the kettle up with baskets on each side, lit the briquettes and then used red oak splits on the left and cherry chunks in the right basket.
2.jpg

While that was going took a ride on the new to me quad with a friend (a total blast)
quad.jpg

kept the smoke rolling while we drank around the fire pit
fire pit.jpg

Smoke rolling around the bird and fat rendering
3.jpg

Pulled and looked great.
4.jpg

No plate shots but served with butternut squash, sauteed spinach and shrooms with a salad. I think this was the best smoked meal I have ever made on any of my smokers! Can't wait to spin the turkey, especially when the cherry splits I ordered come in. Thanks to sawhorseray sawhorseray for helping me go down this road!

Last edited:
Nice looking yard bird! I bet it was as delicious as it looks.

Excellent looking bird. Heck yes this works great with turkey. Self basting, good smoke and you get great skin. When I do turkey, it's the method I use. Works every time. BTW do not stuff the turkey when rotisserizing, food safety issue.

Reactions: clifish
That's a tasty looking yard bird! I too saw the lamb leg post and grabbed one at Costco on my way home Friday. That's for later today. Hopefully I enjoy the same success!

Very nice Cliff! I stopped covering when spinning years ago. Or. If I do. Then it is only for 30 minutes or so if I'm going to induce some smoke.

Nicely done Cliff. That bird looks out of this world good.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks fantastic Cliff!
Haven’t spun one in a while, and that is one of Judy’s favorite meals.
I think it’s the way the juices roll around the bird as it spins, is what makes them so good!
Al

Ray is quite the enabler, isn't he? His favorite thing in the world is getting people started into things that are gonna get them into trouble :emoji_laughing: Seriously, I know he worked hard getting the rotisserie dialed in and he's gotten it down to a science....as it appears you have also. That is one fantastic looing bird and what an incredible day. Great post my friend and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride!!

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
sausage making stuff, check. Slicer, check. Several different types of smokers, check. Grill for searing, check. Sous vide cooker, check. Now I need a rotisserie (sigh) .......
Might as well just jump to a Kudo grill Like Sven Svensson Sven Svensson ? I can now certainly see the upside to that.
Excellent looking bird. Heck yes this works great with turkey. Self basting, good smoke and you get great skin. When I do turkey, it's the method I use. Works every time. BTW do not stuff the turkey when rotisserizing, food safety issue.
No other than maybe throwing aromatics inside we never stuff the bird.
That's a tasty looking yard bird! I too saw the lamb leg post and grabbed one at Costco on my way home Friday. That's for later today. Hopefully I enjoy the same success!
I was quite surprised how much better the smoke profile was than with the lid on.
Great looking spinning bird, and a great day outside kicking around waiting :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_sunglasses:

David
Thanks David, weather was great for outside cooking, drinking and trail rides with the quad (not necessarily in that order).
Great looking bird Clif. Good step by step pictures, too. :emoji_thumbsup:
I try to take pics, I know I like that when I ready everyone else's posts.
awesome looking chicken!! am going to have to try this method also!
You really should, so easy
Nice work Cliff !
Thanks Rich
Nice cook on the chicken Cliff. Looks like a great day of fun!!!
It was Brian, only thing that could have made it better would have been jumping on your boat to fish!
Very nice Cliff! I stopped covering when spinning years ago. Or. If I do. Then it is only for 30 minutes or so if I'm going to induce some smoke.
I actually like the smoke flavor better this way than covering.
Looks good! I need to get one of those rotisseries!
Where did you order yours from?
Thanks Justin, I got it on Amazon at the time $79 now I see $96 for this one

They also make one that doubles as a pizza oven or you can get a roto-santa Maria topper for the kettle as well.
Nicely done Cliff. That bird looks out of this world good.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, need formulate some kind of beer pole for PA.
Looks fantastic Cliff!
Haven’t spun one in a while, and that is one of Judy’s favorite meals.
I think it’s the way the juices roll around the bird as it spins, is what makes them so good!
Al
I agree Al, can't wait to do the turkey then maybe a duck.
Wow beautiful bird Cliff and a great day of outdoor fun ! Makes me want a spinner

Keith
Yeah Keith I got the kettle and spinner before I bought the MB 800. Now that I brought the kettle to PA, I wonder If I can sneak a KUDO with the santa maria attachment and rotisserie past Bonnie?
That bird looks delicious! Nice job!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan
Ray is quite the enabler, isn't he? His favorite thing in the world is getting people started into things that are gonna get them into trouble :emoji_laughing: Seriously, I know he worked hard getting the rotisserie dialed in and he's gotten it down to a science....as it appears you have also. That is one fantastic looing bird and what an incredible day. Great post my friend and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride!!

Robert
Thanks Robert, Cooking on the kettle seems to be how I get most of the rides...must be the open flames?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky