Sauteed Beef Tenderloin Tips w/ Onions & Spinach and Spicy Garlic Bread (W / Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I'm about to answer a question asked by one member and followed up on by a few others. That is why they are getting tagged here....due to their interest in what I am about to document based on my experiment the other night. Those members are:

Steve H Steve H (Steve <DUH!!>)
@forktender (Dan)
Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan (Zach)
@snakehead (Gerald)

This post has a bit of a story behind it. In the thread for our FirsT Cen Tex Que And Brew gathering, I highlighted a batch of spicy pickled garlic on the Day 2 thread that I'd made using Steve's brine recipe. It was a star of the event!! The thread has recently exploded with thoughts, ideas, and suggestions for different brines and things to brine. One of the questions was what sort of things to do with the spicy pickled garlic. One of the suggestions was to use it on a cheesy garlic bread. Sounded good to me :-)

Now to phase 2 of the story. I have developed a great rapport with my sales manager Joe at Certified Piedmontese and he's given me some great recommendations on different cuts of meat to try. Based on that, I ordered a box of Tenderloin Tips, not having a clue what the Hell I was gonna use them for. Well, I had an inspiration the other afternoon while lounging in the pool sipping a margarita. Went into the house and started writing down the ingredients I wanted to use while the beef was defrosting. Here's what I came up with:

This is where the garlic bread with the spicy pickled garlic comes in. The tub of pickled garlic
001.jpg

A few cloves out to mince
002.jpg

Minced and ready to mix into the butter
003.jpg

Added to the butter and all mixed up
004.jpg

Here are the tenderloin tips
005.jpg

Into a pan with most of the dry spices (recipe to follow)
006.jpg

Beef lightly browned. Time to add the rest of the ingredients
007.jpg

Add everything else and let simmer for a while
008.jpg

Here is the bread I will be using for the spicy garlic bread
009.jpg

Loaf of bread sliced and a heavy dose of the garlic butter
010.jpg

Add Feta cheese then top with shaved Belagfoglia Parmesan
011.jpg

Made a nice salad to go along with dinner
012.jpg

Fresh baby spinach with the nasty stems cut off
013.jpg

Sauce has thickened. Time to add the spinach and let cook down for a few minutes
014.jpg

Bread all done
015.jpg

Money shot!! Dinner is served...and what a great dinner it was!!
016.jpg

Close up of the tips and spinach
017.jpg

This came out really, really well. Couldn't believe the depth of flavor, the different characteristics of it, and the complexity. The tenderloin tips were exquisite...so tender, so flavorful, and of course very juicy, both from the meat itself and from the gravy it has been simmering in. The odd thing is that this meal was made with pretty much everything that anybody would already have in their pantry. No need to go out and try to source a bunch of weird, off-the-wall stuff to make a great meal. I guess it just comes down to the right ingredients used in the correct ratios. Additionally it doesn't take a long time to do and is not at all difficult. This time it took a bit longer than it should have because I was totally shooting from the hip....and maybe should have started one margarita earlier :emoji_laughing: This one went into the "Must Do Again" category after Tracy took the first bite and her eyes got as big as saucers and the smile went ear to ear. Now to the bread: it was simply superb!! The spiciness and slight pickled flavor of the garlic mixed with the two strong cheeses was a perfect accompaniment. To answer the question, yes...it is definitely a worthwhile thing to do with the pickled garlic!! The only thing I'll do differently next time is to use a soft cheese to top the bread with. The Parmesan doesn't melt well and it kept wanting to fall off the bread....but it was still really good :emoji_wink:

Here is the recipe, as basic as it is, if anybody is interested in giving this a run:

1 lb Tenderloin tips*
2 T Olive oil
1 ½ t Black pepper
1 ½ t Garlic powder
1 t Montreal steak seasoning
3 cups Beef broth
1 T Beef bouillon
½ cup chopped onion
1 T Minced onion
3 cups Baby spinach, stems cut off
1 T Corn starch for a thickener (can use flour if necessary)
*Any good quality beef cut into cubes will work

-Add olive oil to pan along with beef and toss till coated.
-Add black pepper, garlic, and Montreal steak seasoning. Cook on medium heat till meat is lightly browned
-Add beef broth, minced onion, beef bouillon, and fresh onion. Simmer on low 20 to 30 minutes until meat is tender
-Slowly add corn starch to avoid lumps and cook till sauce thickens. Use more corn starch if necessary
-When sauce is at desired consistency, add spinach and let cook down. This will only take a couple of minutes
-Serve over cooked egg noodles tossed with butter and grated Parmesan cheese

Note: Heinz Savory Beef gravy could be used in lieu of beef broth and corn starch for quicker cook time

Well....thanks for stopping in. I'm gonna go slither back under my rock now. Y'all have a great day!!

Robert

"Good lord man! That is a damn fine meal there!"

Thank you Steve for the kind words and for the like. Greatly appreciate it sir.

We did really enjoy this one. Both the tips and the bread were nothing short of fantastic. When we finished dinner there was only about an eye dropper full left. Tracy was scraping the pan with a rubber spatula trying to get enough gravy to cover some noodles for her lunch the next day. Guess I'll make a bit more next time :-)

Upping the ingredients,
Robert

giphy.gif

Looks great Robert! Like a mushroomless elevated Beef Stroganoff! My kinda dish. Not a fan of the fungi so this is now on my list. I've got tons of good scrap meat frozen for various things and think this'll be one of them. :emoji_thumbsup: and garlic bread with that garlic? ab-so-lutely! Well done. Liked!

"Looks great Robert! Like a mushroomless elevated Beef Stroganoff! My kinda dish"

Thanks Zach!! Really and truly, the only similarity between this and stroganoff is that they are both served over egg noodles...at least in my house :-) Totally different flavor profile, never seen spinach used in stroganoff, and there is no sour cream in this. I thought about it though to be honest.

Personally I like the fungi but Tracy doesn't care for them. If not for that, there would be mushrooms in here :emoji_wink:

Diggin' my 'shrooms,
Robert

"Looks great Robert! Spicy garlic bread is a nice touch ill have to give that a try sometime."

Appreciate it John. Honestly, the spiciness and pickled flavor of the garlic melded beautifully with the cheese. Was really good!!

Gonna do it again!!
Robert

"Well done my friend, I'll put this on my must do list!! :emoji_sunglasses:"

Thank you my brother!! You and Connie would absolutely love this. Even if you don't, I know Connie would so it's worth cooking just for her :emoji_blush:

Side note: was at my little pub yesterday chatting with one of my friends about the Certified Piedmontese Beef. Showed him the web site and noticed that they are having their Labor Day sale. It's 25% off everything AND free shipping on all orders of $100 or more. You may wanna take a look and stock up on some of your favorites. I know you love that stuff as much as we do.

About to do some online shopping,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky