sausage stuffer questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Look for one with all metal gears. I just bought a vertical hakka and really like it

only downside I see from using attachments on meat grinder and using vertical is you are left with around 1/2lb meat left in vertical. For me idc as that means I eat it faster and get make another batch sooner

I started out with a 5lb model
If you think you might want to make snack sticks then it is recommended to buy a 5# stuffer with all metal gears
100% agreed with both statements. I bought a 5 lb stuffer from Lem 3 years ago and happy with it. 5 # stuffer is kind of universal for me - when I am making kabanosy, beef sticks or small batches of sausages... For 15 -20# projects I use 20# motorized Lem stuffer which is extremely helpful for those projects...

Last edited:
All good ideas! My first and current stuffer is a hakka 7 lb (I believe) horizontal. Has served me well for my uses. Didn't break the bank and a good starter unit.

Ryan

TSM (the sausage maker), bought a used 5#’r many years ago off eBay, all metal gears & it still works fine today. So you refill it a couple times, no big deal as I don’t make more then 15lb’s at a time. However, 15 to 20 lb stuffer will make your life easier. They just cost more, so depending on your budget.
Either way, I’d look for a used one on all the “for sale” sites.

Good luck in your search!!

I have a LEM 5 lb. stuffer with metal gears & have had it for years, still working like new!
Al

RJ22, My sausage maker 5 pound stuffer is 35+ years old and still going strong.Small stuffers do all sizes of casings{a bit slower) and large capacity stufers don't do small casings well!

newb to making sausage and looking for my first stuffer. i have been checking out this one https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/sausage/ but maybe someone has another they recommend. Not looking to break the bank

Hi there and welcome!

I think the guys are providing good feedback.

The only things I would add are that they never do the exact amount they claim, they are usually short a pound or when u get bigger ones maybe 2 pounds. So this means if u want to stuff 5 pounds of sausage or sticks then it takes 2 goes in a 5 pound stuffer :(

Get a stuffer that matches the amount of sausage you will commonly stuff. I do 20 pound batches minimum so my 10L stuffer holds about 21lbs making it PERFECT for my amount of batches.

Finally, the larger the amount the BIGGER these things get and the heavier they get so keep that in mind for lugging around and storing.

If u think u will only be working in 5 pound batches I would think the 7 pound Hakka would be perfect (I dont own a Hakka I own a 5 pound LEM for smaller work but would like to be able to do a full 5 pound batch in one load).

I hope this info helps.

Also.. I would recommend you stay away from stuffers that have the tube coming out the bottom of the canister in a 90` (elbow) fashion... These stuffers leave quite a bit of paste in the elbow and tube ..

I have the LEM 5lb (new model) with metal gears and do 30 -50 lb batches of snack sticks at a time...

As others have said... If your going to be doing snack sticks you'll want to use the 5lb'r ... The bigger stuffers have been known to have the plunger (bigger diameter) break from trying to force the paste through smaller tubes ...

As for the one you posted... That's the first I've heard/seen of them... They claim all stainless including the gears... I'm thinking that's a pretty low price for it to be all stainless ...

Ill second what tallbm said. They hold less than stated amount. I do small 2-5lb batches so got Hakka 7lb stuffer. I just did 3lbs and tub was 3/4 full. Its an amazing stuffer but edges are sharp. Cut my finger few times. I plan to put edge guards in place. Stuffers are SS and come with 4 sizes

I have the older version of the LEM 5 lb . It's 5 pounds right to the top of the canister if you pack it tight . So I fill it almost full , stuff some , then fill the rest . I've ran a bunch of sausage thru it . Just had to take it apart and flatten a washer above the gears . New ones on the way . Works great for me , and I make 10 pounds or so every 4 months .

Reactions: tallbm
Ill second what tallbm said. They hold less than stated amount. I do small 2-5lb batches so got Hakka 7lb stuffer. I just did 3lbs and tub was 3/4 full. Its an amazing stuffer but edges are sharp. Cut my finger few times. I plan to put edge guards in place. Stuffers are SS and come with 4 sizes

My big 10L stuffer has sharp edges at the base metal plate and I took a sheet of coarse sand paper and my dremels sanding wheel to it and knocked off that sharpness. It is pretty safe now. It could still cut me if I banged int against myself or dropped it cause the thing is so heavy but it wont cut me as I carry it or as long as I don't lose control of it haha.

Check into that as well. You may also be able to use a metal file to smooth those edges... just some food for thought :)

100% agreed with both statements. I bought a 5 lb stuffer from Lem 3 years ago and happy with it. 5 # stuffer is kind of universal for me - when I am making kabanosy, beef sticks or small batches of sausages... For 15 -20# projects I use 20# motorized Lem stuffer which is extremely helpful for those projects...
Same situation with me. Gave away my 15 pound LEM manual stuffer.

Just the 5lbs manual and the 20lb motorized now.

Reactions: indaswamp
bill ace 350 bill ace 350
I bought the 30# LEM motorized stuffer and Wow! What a difference! I made 32# of snack sticks with it about 2 weeks ago, it never checked up. Flew through it no problem-even when using the 1/2" tube. That 1 ton of force is legit. If someone wants to start cranking out large batches of sticks, I highly recommend the LEM motorized Stuffer.

Reactions: tallbm
bill ace 350 bill ace 350
I bought the 30# LEM motorized stuffer and Wow! What a difference! I made 32# of snack sticks with it about 2 weeks ago, it never checked up. Flew through it no problem-even when using the 1/2" tube. That 1 ton of force is legit. If someone wants to start cranking out large batches of sticks, I highly recommend the LEM motorized Stuffer.
I am always asking myself if I should have bought the 30lb model instead.

The 20lb stuffer has been great so far.

Load large SS casings in no time!

Reactions: indaswamp
Since we process our own wild game meat, it was a no brainer for me to get the 30#. Made the process faster with a lot less work doing 500+ pounds in a day. My only critic is that I wish the pedal had a reverse so you could stop the pressure easily when you need to so meat paste does not over fill the casing you are working with like The Sausagemaker stuffers.....

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky