Sausage run for freezer stock .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You’ve inspired me to drag out the sausage making gear and free up some freezer space. If you’re using a garage fridge I use a dry erase marker and write on my fridge what’s happening, dates, times, contents, etc. I’m too old to remember these things like I think I will.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great.
Thanks for the comment . I appreciate it .

I always knew those accent curls on the light fixtures had another function.
Lol . yup . I've left it hang overnight when I use TSP-X . I need to fab up a bar to hang on the fixture , so I can get more chubs on there .

Nice run of sausages.
Thanks bud . Any thoughts on the pre cure ? I think it ups the quality myself .

grocer had pork butt on sale for $1.19/#
That's a good price anymore . I paid $1.79 a lb. for these .

Rich great job on everything, looks delicious! I guess if you're gonna get all of your equipment out you might as well make it worth your while.

The sausage looks beautiful. Quick question, I’ve mixed my seasoning in after I grind but I also have no clue what I’m doing, which is why I’m asking. Why do you add your seasoning to the cubed meat before grinding? I’m always up for learning new tricks. Thanks.

I expect you get a better distribution of the seasonings by mixing them with the meat first, and then running it through the grinder. I've seen it done both ways, but I'd put myself in the camp that would mix the seasonings into the cubed meat, then grind. I'll qualify this by saying that I'm not a sausage maker YET, but I have researched this to death.

Thanks bud . Any thoughts on the pre cure ? I think it ups the quality myself .
Pre cure definitely improves both color and particle definition. You get stronger NO gas uptake by the meat, and after pre curing the meat becomes firmer so you can chill it to a colder temp before it will freeze solid giving a really clean slice through the grinder plate and knife.

Lot of work, but you did it wonders :emoji_wink:
Now you'll have to do some shopping for stuffer ( or parts ) for the next go around.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Wow! That is a huge amount of work! Great job! They look incredible!
Thanks for the comment . Well it's not really , I just got myself twisted up with the pre cure . I got it figured out now . It was all good . Just cooked up some of the chorizo . Man it's good .

Sausage Looks Awesome!!
Ravioli Looks Up Top Too!!!
Nice Job, Rich!
John , thanks old buddy . That ravioli is the family recipe from my wife's side .
Kids asked for it last month and they gave it up . Me , Sam and Ryan did 100 ravioli a week before I did the sausage . It's so good , and gone now . Lol .
20220103_131207.jpg
20220103_131216.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Excellent work ! I know about how much of a chore it can become but it's so worth it... If you need a a taste tester I am available
Thanks bud . I just got out of the flow . Most of the time it's no effort . Learned something from this go round .

Reactions: poacherjoe
. Quick question, I’ve mixed my seasoning in after I grind
Me too . That's what I did here with the fresh sausage , and do most of the time .
I also have no clue what I’m doing, which is why I’m asking.
Well , we need to change that . Starting with a positive outlook . Have you made any before ? You said you have sausage making stuff . So you have the idea and the interest . I started out bad . I mean couldn't eat it bad . Not true anymore . So if this is something you want to do , you're in the right place . I learned it here myself .

Why do you add your seasoning to the cubed meat before grinding?
Don't be confused . I know that was a bit hard to follow , because I had different stuff going on . The fresh stuff , Italian , hot links and chorizo was ground first , then the seasoning mixed in .
The rest of it was a Pre-cure only . Just salt and cure 1 in the proper amounts for the weight of the meat cubes . After a full cure it was ground , and the seasoning added for the type of sausage . Just something I have been researching and wanted to try .

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Pre cure definitely improves both color and particle definition.
Which plays to texture , taste and overall quality . I've done enough of the grind , mix and hold overnight , and sodium erythorbate to know this is a step up in my opinion .
Thanks for the thoughts .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky