Sausage Recipe help? (Buffalo Summer and Alligator)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ifitsdeadsmokeit

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 9, 2010
Hollister Missouri
So sometimes there are good things that come out of divorces.  My neighbor is getting one and when the hubby moved out, left a freezer full of meat and the wife doesnt cook...my gain.  I got a bunch of ground buffalo, pork ribs (3 slabs spares, 3 slabs baby backs) and alligator strips from her.  There was a lot more, but I didnt have room in my freezer for it.  I was wanting to make some buffalo summer sausage and alligator sausage but recipes are hard to come by.  There are a lot of recipes for summer sausage, but since buffalo is so lean, not sure how much fat to add to the batch.  Think a 30% ratio is the way to go?  I've only seen one single recipe for the alligator sausage online.  Any ideas or suggestions...love to hear what you got !!!

Chris........I agree with your 30%.......maybe even a bit more. I think the last batch I did was a 30% blend.

As for the gator, a local rod & gun club has a run on rattle snakes during the summer and they save the meat and rattles for me. I mix the alligator and snake meat together with a little pork shoulder for fat and make

"Ratlle-Gator" sausage with some fresh jalapeno's. When I can't get gator, I use rabbit.

Brad

And then what do you do, stuff it?  Or use it as patties?  Grilled, fried?  I have some alligator and am looking for alternatives to just frying it.

And then what do you do, stuff it?  Or use it as patties?  Grilled, fried?  I have some alligator and am looking for alternatives to just frying it.
Gater sausage on my list of things to do.....I believe most of us would sauté links up in a skillet than fry, or perhaps indirect grilling over medium coals after they poached first.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky