sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoods bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Texas
just bought my lem 5 pound 606; kitchener 12 grinder; the 3/8" stainless steel stuffing tube for sticks; got some 19 mm casings and high temp cheese from Pearlscheese.com which is cheaper than butcher and packer if you order the 10 pound size only cheddar and hot pepper; ac legg snack stick mix regular and bbq as well as 16 oz quick cure. I am all set to go heres my question: has anyone put jalapeno in their snack sticks along with cheese? I am just wondering how small i need to dice up the jalapeno and if i need to poach them first in hot water to soften them up. is that too much to add to the small 19mm casings?

thanks again guys.

not the 10 pound I meant the 5 pound order is cheaper. none the less I should have bought the 10 pound

BW, evening..... If you want the jalapeno's diced up small, run them through the grinder raw, cut into hunks first....  use the small hole plate in the grinder and run a bread heel or 2 thru to clean it out...... mix them in the meat....  rinse the grinder.....  you can even put the bread in the meat sticks if you want...     Dave

I love spicy foods too, but I'm one of those that will pay a dear price later. Put politely, it burns twice.
Adding jalapenos will not make the sausage hot. It just adds flavor. With fresh japs just remove the seeds.........

I use mount olive diced jalapeno's DRAINED..... 1 jar for 20 lbs

Adding jalapenos will not make the sausage hot. It just adds flavor. With fresh japs just remove the seeds.........
I used a 1/3 jar of these for 10# 2 weeks ago following the recipie that Joe (Boykjo) sent me along with his Kielbasa seasoning (which was AWESOME just had some last night) and it did not make them hot at all, but definatley added flavor. Couldnt be any easier, I just mixed them in when the meat was already ground when I added the spices before I stuffed them. These diced pieces would be perfect size for snack sticks in my opinion but some people may like them slightly more chopped. Check them out at the store, probably right near the pickles. Good Luck, and let us know how they turn out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky