Sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Bullhead City, AZ
Just got in my spices from Columbia & of course it's for 25 lbs. I new to trying my own sausage & I don't have a grinder:( I was going to get some ground pork & mix it with that? I only wanna try 1 lb right now though! Anybody know how much seasoning that would be?

Yeah I know it's not alot but I seem to be the only sausage eater in the house:( unless o course it's unbelievably delicious. The one I want to make says 8 oz

25 lbs to 8 oz is the question I think.

12.5 to 4

6.25 to 2

3.125 to 1

so about 1 1/2 lb for 1/2 oz seasoning.

Somebody else want to check my math?

When I am doing smaller batches I just weigh it out so that I get the proper amount. Just divide the total weight of the spice by the lbs it will make and that is how much spice to use per lb.

Ok so im figuring 3 teaspoons for the 1 pound. Mix it up in the processor. Then form to patties. Let you know how it comes out!! I'm seeing a grinder/stuffer in my future

25 lbs to 8 oz is the question I think.

12.5 to 4

6.25 to 2

3.125 to 1

so about 1 1/2 lb for 1/2 oz seasoning.

Somebody else want to check my math?
WW,

Rounding off a bit, your math looks fine to me!

Must have the same kind of Math in Ohio as we do in PeeYaa!

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Now I would also suggest that you weigh your seasoning and that way you'll get and correct amount.

Buy a scale, it's the best investment you'll make.

Here's a thread I made a couple years ago that explains how to reproportion seasonings to get the exact amount for any weight of product, but it does require a scale.  But, if you want to make sausages, you need the proper equipment and the scales are cheaper now.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/69518/sausage-prep

Hope it helps!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky