Sausage potato chowder.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning folks,
Last night I whipped up a batch of bacon potato chowder. This is another recipe that I've played with for years. I believe it started when I had a bowl of German potato soup over 30 years ago. And
have been tweaking it as I go. Though, I haven't changed it for the last 10 years or so now.

OI000025.jpg

OI000024.jpg

You'll need:
2 family size cans of cream of chicken soup.
2 med. onions dices
1 pack of lil smokies
1 pound thick cut bacon. Cut in 1/2 to 1" lengths. Browned and set aside on paper towels. Drain all but a tbs of grease in pan.
3 pounds diced potatoes. I use regular white potatoes.

OI000023.jpg

Bacon is getting happy.

OI000026.jpg

Onions getting browned in the bacon grease. When done. Put in bowl.

Put potatoes in a pot and add enough water to just cover them. And cook until tender. Do not drain!

OI000027.jpg

Add the cream of chicken soup, bacon, sausage, and onions. Bring to low simmer. Here you can add milk if you feel the chowder is too thick.
Then add pepper to taste. I don't add salt. I feel that the salt that is in the bacon and sausage is enough.
Then I add a few hefty dashes of Franks hot sauce.
Let it simmer for 20 minutes. Taste/adjust again if needed.
Now, grab a bowl and enjoy!

OI000028.jpg

Looks good Steve. Perfect dish for these cold days. Easy to follow step by steps too. Thanks, looks easy enough I might try it.

Steve that will stick to your ribs an warm ya up.
Richie
Thanks Richie!

Looks delicious. Another one for the list.
Thank you Brian!

What pictures !!! Thanks ----looks so delicious. Another dash of black pepper and GONE!
Thanks Charlie!

Looks good Steve. Perfect dish for these cold days. Easy to follow step by steps too. Thanks, looks easy enough I might try it.
Thank you Mike!

Looks great, pretty quick and easy, have been using the square hash browns to make soup with to speed up cooking after a long day ,I suspect they are parboiled so it doesn't take much for the potatoes to be done

I think when I go to the store this afternoon I'll pick up what I need for this. Going to be cold this week so this should hit the spot. Looks great Steve ! Thanks for sharing this!
Oh, and I'll probably make a Sammie to go with it lol!

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Man does that look good Steve!
It’s been cold down here for a while & we have been making a lot of soup. Gonna give your recipe a try!
Thanks for posting it!
Al

Looks great, pretty quick and easy, have been using the square hash browns to make soup with to speed up cooking after a long day ,I suspect they are parboiled so it doesn't take much for the potatoes to be done
Thanks Mike!

Man does that look good Steve!
It’s been cold down here for a while & we have been making a lot of soup. Gonna give your recipe a try!
Thanks for posting it!
Al
Thanks Al! It's in the teens here this morning. Might have a bowl of the soup later.

Colder than heck here and a bowl of that would be a nice addition to the agenda to warm the soul. Great job buddy!!

Robert

Steve thst looks like one hearty and delicious soup!! Something about soup like that and a cold day that just fits like a glove.

Boy howdy, in the low 30's here this morning, I could go for a bowl of that soup for breakfast! RAY

Man that sure looks good Steve! Definitely fill you up and warm ya up too! Bookmarked this as well! Wife and I chuckled... can definitely tell who's from the north and south , define cold lol!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky