Sausage & Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep -- that's it -- It is what I do -- I just don't turn it on. I use my pellet tube, and cold smoke. I freeze as is, or poach (I'd rather sous vide someday), or in the oven. I have very low settings on my oven. So, you will still need to keep I T to 152 before sausage starts to get ruined by temps. Take care. R

Guys, this can work. To the OP. Set your grill at the lowest setting (200* it seems) use a good thermometer to monitor grill grate temp, use the second shelf always, if available. When temps get too close to high, simply do the unthinkable, open the grill door. Leave it open long enough to lower temps, then resume. The use a a smoke tube would be beneficial.
You can make this work with a little effort.

Yep -- that's it -- It is what I do -- I just don't turn it on. I use my pellet tube, and cold smoke. I freeze as is, or poach (I'd rather sous vide someday), or in the oven. I have very low settings on my oven. So, you will still need to keep I T to 152 before sausage starts to get ruined by temps. Take care. R
Thanks for the help, I'm going to try it and see how it turns out.

Guys, this can work. To the OP. Set your grill at the lowest setting (200* it seems) use a good thermometer to monitor grill grate temp, use the second shelf always, if available. When temps get too close to high, simply do the unthinkable, open the grill door. Leave it open long enough to lower temps, then resume. The use a a smoke tube would be beneficial.
You can make this work with a little effort.
I think I'll give it a shot, it's worth a try , if it doesn't turn out it's not like it's a brisket, then I would feel bad, Lol.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I think I'll give it a shot, it's worth a try , if it doesn't turn out it's not like it's a brisket, then I would feel bad, Lol.
With just a little effort, you will be fine. Make your set up work for you. Yours is different from mine and many others, but it can still work for you.

Ok, I've kind of glanced through the responses and have not seen something mentioned I'd recommend you check. Is that 200* temp you mention a set point on the digital controller or is it actual grate temp that you have verified with a dependable thermometer? The reason I ask is that with most pellet smokers the actual grate temp is significantly lower than your set point temp. They are different types of probes and in different places, so there could well be a good sized variable.

On a different note, I have a Rec Tec 700 Bull and have smoked sausage on it several times and it's always been perfect. Yes, it's nice to slowly raise the temp over a period of time but I can honestly say from experience it's not mandatory. I let the sausage sit out for a little while on the counter then put them on before turning on the grill and the temp rises slowly somewhat accomplishing what's been mentioned previously.

Robert

I also have a Bull. For lowest temps, I figure low in the smoking box would be best. Even without the box, for Cured grinds, I'm wondering could the initial "little while" be done at ambient temps with the Smoking Tube making all the smoke instead the grill being on? My Amazin' Tube smoker cranks out probably more smoke than the grill does. Have wondered if that's an option (but haven't tried, here in SE GA, it's not often cold enough for me to be brave)

Hadn't scrolled down this far when I asked about doing just this regarding tube smoking first. Thanks!

Reactions: Polka
Ok, I've kind of glanced through the responses and have not seen something mentioned I'd recommend you check. Is that 200* temp you mention a set point on the digital controller or is it actual grate temp that you have verified with a dependable thermometer? The reason I ask is that with most pellet smokers the actual grate temp is significantly lower than your set point temp. They are different types of probes and in different places, so there could well be a good sized variable.

On a different note, I have a Rec Tec 700 Bull and have smoked sausage on it several times and it's always been perfect. Yes, it's nice to slowly raise the temp over a period of time but I can honestly say from experience it's not mandatory. I let the sausage sit out for a little while on the counter then put them on before turning on the grill and the temp rises slowly somewhat accomplishing what's been mentioned previously.

Robert
I bought a propane Masterbuilt just for doing sausage. I have a friend you bought it last winter at Lowe's when they had a sale for $99, and never used it. I was telling him yesterday about getting another smoker, and he said I could buy his for what he paid for it, so I couldn't get the money out fast enough, Lol.
I had a bigger Masterbuilt a very long time ago, and I smoked lots of meat on it, so I have nothing against Masterbuilt, I just wanted bigger smokers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky